1/17/2022

Where have all the "pinnies" gone?

 While in England years ago I discovered that an apron was called a "pinny." I love the term and it refers to a "pinafore" style apron but was used for all aprons as well. One thing I always check for at thrift stores are aprons and it has been more than a year since I found a cool apron. Not that I really need one.  My favorite is a yellow denim.

At the farm I had a coat rack right in the middle of the kitchen with about a dozen aprons hanging on it. One day my lovely DIL was trying to organize my kitchen and asked if I needed ALL those aprons hanging right in the middle of the kitchen and my response was "Of course!" I just love getting up in the morning and donning an apron that matches my colors and mood for the day. I prefer a simple twill of a bold color or print and no lace or frills.

 For years my favorite was a lightweight quilted one, but my oldest granddaughter Leigha loved it also and I finally gave it to her one Christmas one year. When we had the estate sale at the farm, I added several aprons to the sale thinking I would get new ones to freshen my collection. I also sold a lot of cloth napkins and tablecloths thinking I could replace them as well and it hasn't happened either. Have people stopped using cloth napkins and table

cloths?

3 comments:

JustGail said...

I should find a spot to hang my aprons, maybe I'd remember to use one. It's plain, dare I say sort of ugly, one I made but it does the job. If I put it on that is. I haven't used table cloths in years, other than maybe when we had big family gatherings. I started using placemats after too many times of near disaster with cats or child pulling on the tablecloth. I do use cloth napkins, but they are either flour sack toweling I learned to use my serger on, or purchased bandanas. I should remember to keep an eye out for real cloth napkins at thrift stores, garage/estate sales, etc.

Beth French said...

Yes to cloth napkins and cloth aprons! I make butcher style aprons and have three hanging on the cellar door from a cast iron cat hook in the kitchen. One apron is a green on green vegetable print. One is an orange and black fall print. And my favorite for baking pies and goodies is black with cherry and pink pies all over. As for napkins, I have a basket full of napkins on the table. We have used cloth napkins for every meal for at least 20 years. I got tired of buying paper napkins, so think of all the trees we have saved over the years. Plus, it is fun to choose your own napkin for the day. I'm a quilter so fabric is always appealing!

Margaret said...

I confess I stopped wearing aprons years ago -- probably when I began to wear clothes I don't really care to protect. Heck; I don't even wear 'em when I'm dyeing fabric, let alone working in the kitchen! That said, I still have the one-piece 'pinny' in turquoise gingham that I made in Home Ec in Grade 7 (ca. 1964-65), one that goes on over my head that my late-great-quilting-aunt made for herself and used (RIP 2002)...and a pristine white one with line drawings of cats all over it (I'm a "Certified Cat Person") that a dear friend gave to me a couple of Xmases ago (too pretty to use). I use cloth napkins (though not my collection of linen/brocade ones inherited from my mom); these are easier to wash and need no ironing. And I try to use torn up clothes for clean-ups, not paper towels (with some exceptions). But aprons? Ah well...I love 'em, but let 'em be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts