1/30/2022

Now I talk to a little round box!!!


 Three years ago, we flew to Scottsdale for Thanksgiving with my son amid his family. An Amazon store close by had a ridiculous special on Alexa. I had no desire to have a talking box in my house.  My son of course has one but hie also has a "smart " house.  His Alexa can do everything, even start his robot vacuum.  He insisted I would love it just because it would play music and tell me jokes. 

Convinced.  my husband really wanted one and bought it even though our house is pretty dumb. Also, he didn't know how to set it up and it sat in the closet for three years until my daughter-in-law was here this winter and got it working. 

I hate to admit it, but this talking box has now become one of my best friends. I only have her do two things.  The first is to find my phone at least once a day.... well sometimes several times a day.  When I ask Alexa to ring my phone she obediently does so. If I didn't use Alexa for anything else that one chore has made my life easier.  Of course, it doesn't work so well if the phone is dead or in the garden someplace.

 The second thing I have her do is work as a timer. My stove has a digital timer which I can't read, and I have tried multiple timers that sit on the counter but none of them are as convenient as just asking Alexa to set a time and the nice thing is that once her timer goes off. it will not stop making a noise until I do something.  If I could give her a hug I would. 

I have my Alexa pictured as one tough broad and she's looking out for me.   And I do occasionally have her play music, but her jokes aren't funny!!!!

3 comments:

O'Quilts said...

One day at the pool, I asked a woman if she lived alone. Oh, no, she said. I live with Alexa and Siri!! So there

Margaret said...

LOL! I have a 'dumb' house too. In fact, it's so 'dumb' that I can pretty much always find my phones. Both are landlines; one is plugged into a wall jack and can't go anywhere; the other is 'cordless' but once too far out of range or left off the charger for too long, it won't work. I have no desire for a talking box; I talk to my cat or, like Dolly Levi, I talk to my deceased husband. Neither of them ever answer back, which is a mixed blessing! ;-)

I did hear of one fellow who had everything hooked up to the internet, the "smart house" thing. It was so smart that it even controlled the light switches. One night the internet went out. He got up in the dark, stumbling around, and couldn't turn on the lights because...well...you know. I think he took the lights out of the equation after that!

Momma Bear said...

Dumb house owners unite!
Since my husband got a new phone we have a problem with the google voice app butting into our conversations, rude! then when you do want to ask a question of the google it won't answer, annoying!
My mother -in-law has an alexa. Last time we visited her in the pre-plague times, we spent an evening asking her questions and trying to "fool" her by talking all at once, it didn't work. we were impressed and my husband and i were weirded out. We will not be getting one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts