2/15/2024

I need a change in attitude

When I awoke this morning my first thought was that  the pears I bought last week would be ripe enough to make a sour cream/pear/almond tart. My second thought was that there were enough leftovers from last night to make corn fritters and poached eggs for breakfast this morning. Maybe I would wear  my favorite blue apron  as  it looked like a cookery day.

I would be doing something creative, the house would smell good, and my husband would be happy.

 find most days long and boring   I will probably not die from a heart attack or a stroke; I will die from boredom.  But that would be totally unlikely, because with a slight change in attitude--well, maybe a major change in attitude--I should be happy and busy  all day, every day.

There is no reason why I can't clean house for hours  and like  it just as much as I do cooking or working in the garden.  I know there are women who luve  to clean house.  I have a neighbor who, every time she answers her door, has her rubber gloves on  and is scrubbing away. I have another friend who loves ironing and  irons absolutely everything.  But she hates to work in the garden.

I could vacuum twice a day, first going north/south and then east/west.  I could also  wash the windows every day.  Going vertical and then horizontal.  I know it is hard for you to believe, but I've lived in this house now for almost 4 years and have never scrubbed the base boards.  

 

My cleaning the other day included taking out a kitchen drawer and washing everything in it and putting it back.  And then I cleaned and polished the handle on the refrigerator.  What next? I know it’s hard to believe, but I have been in this house four years and have never cleaned the baseboards. 

Luckily it is mid-February and spring is just around the corner, and I will soon be able to “keep yard,” which makes me happy.  

I did get down on my knees and check the baseboards and, sure enough, when I ran my finger along the top, they were dusty.  One positive thing about losing your sight is you don't see the dirt.

 Until spring does arrive, I will  wear rubber gloves and hold a sponge when I open the door and announce I was just going to scrub the baseboards.

  

4 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could all get together and trade chores?
I like vacuuming, you like doing the laundry, so lets get together and swap.
We both get some cleaning done and some companionship, easy-peasy.

Margaret said...

Thanks for the chuckle! I too rarely clean my baseboards -- and I dust only when I'm expecting company. I have 3 cats. Could vacuum daily but what good would it do?! Besides, I'm pretty sure that neither dusting nor vacuuming will cure boredom!

S Barton said...

Oh Gerry that is too funny! Don't waste your time on dusting, it's just going to return in a week or so. Get some really big knitting needles and knit something while listening to the Old Radio Murder Mystery shows on You Tube.

S Barton said...

Oh Gerry that is too funny! Don't waste your time on dusting, it's just going to return in a week or so. Get some really big knitting needles and knit something while listening to the Old Radio Murder Mystery shows on You Tube.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts