7/06/2019

Triple Recall Day

I used to be able to look at any plant in my large garden and both the common and botanical name would just come to mind.  Now as often as not I have to search hard in my memory for the more obscure ones but you'd think I would remember my very most favorite ones.  This is an achillea and I am not a fan of achileas but this one I adore. Most fade and look drab but this stays a vibrant yellow even when dried.  I always wanted a huge patch of them and each years for years I have patiently divided and nurtured it until I now have a huge patch of them and this spring I couldn't  remember the variety.  I kept trying and trying and it just wouldn't come but today it finally popped into my head.... "Parker's Gold"

One nursery describes it as "Achillea millefolium 'Parker's Gold'
Large heads of golden flowers cover this plant in summer.  It grows to a height of 3 to 5 feet with ferny foliage.  Great cut flower, either fresh or dried. Plant in full sun in well drained soil.  Drought tolerant and deer resistant.  Hardy in zones 3-8.
Now it is every bit that wonderful and should be loved by every gardener,

Another name I had been searching for was for a plant that wanders wherever it wants in my garden and is HUGE.  It is a biennial and self seeds but isn't invasive and I just let it grow even if it is an awkward spot.  I knew it was either thermopsis or verbascum but never took the time to look it up... but today it came to me that it is indeed verbascum.  This one is seven feet tall and is about to bloom and right on the path in the veggie garden. They are here and there everywhere.  I love their wooly grey foliage and beautiful flowers.  



Finally the last name I recalled today was for my absolute most favorite plant of all.  You think I would remember that name... no.  I love this clematis so much I have tried to plant it FIVE times.  I had a huge plant of it for years at the back of the garden and tried to move it by the house when I closed the nursery and it died. So I have tried to get it established with four other plants I purchased.  I finally have one plant that is doing beautifully  and is three years old and should bloom this year.  It is a late bloomer - late July until fall.  A second plant is almost as healthy and might bloom this year.  One is still struggling and one died.



It is Duchess of Albany when I move I will try to take one of the plants with me.

I love all the small flowering species  clematis.  It takes forever to get them established but the wait is worth it and they will thrive with little care and ramble over fences and up trees...



Right now a purple clematis is blooming on the deer fence near the lavender... what a sight the pair are...but guess what..... I can't remember its name... maybe it will come to me!!!!!!

2 comments:

Momma Bear said...

is it "jackmanie"? I have a dark purple Clematis that likes to climb my garage and the weeping something or another next to it. its not a willow it might be an ash(?) I've taken leaves to an arborist and they have not been able to identify it either! I love them both.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You do well to remember the names - I know I wouldn't! To me, plants are 'you know...the pretty yellow one on the east side of the house....the one that smells" (or similar words).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts