7/28/2019

Our very own huckleberry hound!!



Yesterday we  went to pick the huckleberries. We drove about 90 miles round trip on dusty dirt roads  to the top of some mountain. The hillsides were steep and the brush was thick.  I fell, stumbled, tripped,  nearly spilt my berries and managed to end up with about a cup of huckleberries. The area had already been picked and the berries were sparse.
With mine plus what DH picked and what a friend added to my container I will have enough for a batch of freezer jam.

Now I remember this as a fantastic experience from when I was a kid.  But when I really thought about it, when I was a kid I didn't actually pick any huckleberries.   I just ran around and played with my cousins and the adults pick huckleberries.  None the less I developed a love for them.

Huckleberries are specific to our area and are quite different from blueberries... much tarter and juicier.   Huckleberries  only grow wild at very high altitudes. All attempts to domesticate huckleberries have failed  but you can buy ones picked by commercial foragers for an outrageous price... last year it was $70 a gallon (which is about enough for two pies). They pick in prime areas controlled by the forest service who limits the number of  commercial pickers and the amount which can be harvested.

As it turns out we discovered that Morris just loves huckleberries and thought the day out was almost as good as his vacation at the ocean.  You can see that he could easily reach out and nip them off the bushes but no.... he wanted someone to pick them and hand feed them to him.  He would sit and stare at the bush being picked until that very thing happened. He would move in closer and closer until his nose was about in your hand.   He went from picker to picker and begged like a baby bird... he is indeed a huckleberry hound.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Oh, does that ever bring back memories! When we lived in Montpelier, Idaho, we used go to into the mountains around Bear Lake and pick huckleberries. My boys were little and stayed home with their dad while friends and I went to pick. I once got stung by a bee while picking - the only time in my life I’ve ever been stung. I absolutely adore huckleberries and am totally jealous, LOL. My favorite way to eat them is to make raspberry-huckleberry jam. Hugs to you all, including Morris!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Frustrating to pick, but oh so tasty! They were always called huckleberries in our family when I was growing up so that name doesn't come as a surprise (altho' I haven't heard it for years).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts