12/27/2012

Life is a bowl of lemons.....

Posts related to lemons are a recurring thing on my blog because I am a sucker for those 5 lb bags of lemons at Costco and then have to bake like crazy to use them up.   ALWAYS at the top of the list is my Lemon Sour Cream Pound Cake which I usually make in loaf pans for breakfast treats and hostess gifts....

Next  is always "Crisp Lemon Pecan Oatmeal Sugar Cookies" which are thin, buttery, crisp, to-die-for cookies.

I have been searching for a long time for the perfect lemon pie recipe.  My search is over as this  is the best lemon pie I have made in 50+ years of baking,  I will never use another recipe.    I took it to a Christmas potluck and the pie plate was licked clean and everyone raved about it...  But beware it has 437 calories per serving...


Sour Cream Lemon Pie
..

  • Prep: 20 min. + chilling
  • Yield: 8 Servings
2020

Ingredients

  • Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 1 cup (8 ounces)   Sour Cream
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge.
  • Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake 8 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
  • In a large heavy saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk and lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
  • In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel. Cool without stirring.
  • Stir in sour cream. Add filling to crust. Top with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
We had halibut cakes, shrimp and lemon risotto (plus salad and roasted beets) for Christmas Day dinner and that finished off the lemons.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh, yum. That pie sounds heavenly. But since I've just managed to lose 25 pounds I'll have to pass :(. I love lemons too. My 3 favourite lemon recipes are lemon oat cookies, lemon zucchini muffins, and a sweet bannock with lemon, dried cranberries and dried blue berries.

Suztats said...

Sounds delish! I'd love to try it, but......
I once made a lemon pie from scratch for my DH, and beamed with pride as I served it, only to be told he prefers the graham crust and lemon pie filling.......I was crushed, but then I thought, well, it's easier for me to use the mix, and if it makes him happy, then easier is good! lol

Susan Elliott said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Ger!! I hope you are OK? How is the eye? I'm off to read on and see...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts