7/14/2010

Lemonade not my first choice....

Strolling through Costco Monday I had a craving for something lemon and grabbed a 5lb bag. Then when I got home I vaguely recalled I've done this before and how much baking I had to do to use up a 5lb bag because I'm not a fan of lemonade...

So yesterday afternoon I started with this recipe....Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies. Of course I had to add a cup of finely chopped pecans and 1/2 cup of oatmeal whizzed in a processor. So they became "Crisp Lemon Pecan Oatmeal Sugar Cookies"

They are a great cookie but not as lemony as I would like so next time I will up the extract and lemon zest...

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest (or more)
2 teaspoons lemon extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Optional My additions:
1 cup of finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup of oatmeal whizzed in a processor.
Additional sugar
Directions
In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and
fluffy. Beat in egg, lemon juice, zest and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and
baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. (opt: Stir in oatmeal and nuts)

Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart
onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 5 dozen.

Note: I baked them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes instead....

Last night I made a double batch of lemon curd and a Lemon Sponge Tart.... Used only about 1/3 of the lemons... For sure I'll want to make some Lemon Gelato and mini-loaves of Sour Cream Lemon Pound Cake...(recipe here http://olderrose.blogspot.com/search/label/recipe ) You can make a lot of stuff with 5 lbs of lemons....

3 comments:

Diane said...

Just for interest, lemons here (Ontario) are 3 for $1.99! My favourite use of fresh lemons is lemon-ginger marmalade. When we make it at our Seniors Group, it's sold before it's bottled!

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Sounds wonderful!

Laurie said...

These cookies sound perfect with a nice thick slice of home made lemon meringue pie! It's a curse to be diabetic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts