3/28/2010

Alliance Quilt - progress

Well, it was time to stop and put this on the bulletin board and make decisions... Of course I wish I had started with a smaller block to allow for a border large enough that I could have worked text into it but since that's not to be, I'm just forging ahead. Also wish I'd made a lot less seams...


Last night I played around with sizes and placement of the cell phone and photos. I ended up with this size cell phone which is larger than I had first planned... It needed to be large enough to relate to the fan... It will be beaded on a hoop so when I do put it on I can fuss with placement.

Then there's seams which are NOT my forte... I've done entire blocks without an embellished seam. Then I used motifs as a reward... "Do two seams Gerry and then you can do a motif!" But since there will be few motifs on this blocks besides the focal points, the seams on this block are important and I will do them all first.

1. The block is large and the focal point (fan, phone, and photos) are large so I needed bold seams.
2. I wanted layered seams so they will a point of interest in themselves.
3. I'll intersperse black in a lot of the seams as a way to move the eye around the block and hold the block together.

So I made this seam first and it is my "benchmark" for size for other seams...
I keep referring to it as I start another seams... I often go to Lauri's site as I not only love her whimsical blocks.... even her seams are playful and fun.... But I'm making headway...

















I'm happier with some of the seams than others but determined not to start ripping seams out as I would never make the deadline.. I will put this aside for a few days to finish Cobi's stumpwork block... I felt I had overpowered it with leaves and blossoms and wanted to take a break from it and see if I need to rip some out... But I want to mail it Monday so it's time to decide on that also.... decisions, decisions, decisions.........

1 comment:

Lauri said...

Beautiful Seams NuMom!! I knew you could do it. You just aren't a big fan of doing them. I don't see why, you are a pro
Lauri

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts