11/02/2009

The revealing of the nest -not yet!

One of my favorite birds on the farm is the magpie. I added this photo (not my bird's nest) to show how large their nests become in comparison to the bird itself... There was a huge nest (about 3' x3') in our pine close to the house and it was directly situated in my line of sight from "my morning coffee spot" on the couch.

I watched them repair and enlarge their nest each sping and when the babies hatched the real show began. The parents never just flew into the nest which has an opening on the side. They landed several branches up and did this little "hippity hop" dance down to the nest.. But with our record breaking snowfall last winter their nest was demolished... I know sometimes they rebuilt on an old nest site so I was watching closely this spring...but no activity.. Then I noticed them carrying large sticks and flying into the apple tree by the sheep pasture and sure enough they were hard at work on a new nest.

Unfortunately the foliage on the apple tree is so thick that I can't see all the activity but at least they are still close by. I can see the nest when I stand under the tree and look up but I have to wait until the leaves completely fall to get a really good look. I know some think them terrible pests but I appreciate that they are intelligent, gregarious birds with personality that brighten my day with their antics.

Magpies, in some cultures. are regarded as a good luck symbol of joy, marital bliss, and long lasting fortune. The ancient Roman's viewed the magpie as a creature of high intellect and reasoning powers. Magpies are attracted by shiny bits and pieces and I'm sure if they did needlework it would be CQ!

2 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

I also think we're kind of like magpies when our stashes are so much larger than ourselves...I can relate to them. I made a few nests from beads and put lots of little bits of lace and buttons and such and someone called it a magpie's nest so I'm happy to see one in real life.

I also have a beautiful childrens' story -- I think it's called Cinderella's Dress -- where the magpies make Cinderella a dress from the bits they have collected in their nests. It's a wonderful little tale...maybe you can find it at the library...

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Good to know I am not the only one who likes the magpies, Gerry! So many people seem to have a dislike for them I suppose because they can be noisy. I am amazed by their irredescent colour every time I see one up close. I seem to forgot each time and it comes as a lovely surprise again when I see one. lol - guess my faulty memory does have the upside of providing many happy surprises!

I think I was a magpie in a former life because of my love for "shiny"! Hmmm.... I wonder what kind of bird an ardent lace lover would be? lol
Hugs,
Kerry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts