1/09/2024

wair a minute...I'm the Grand,ma

 

The other day I was checking what was in my  refrig and found I had all the ingredients to make cabbage rolls.  It occurred to me that I had been making  cabbage rolls the same way for the last 60 years and I just needed to do something different. 

 First I looked on Google and there were multiple cabbage-roll recipes "like your grandmother used to make."  I am the grandmother and I don't want cabbage rolls like I used to make--I wanted to reinvent cabbage rolls.  

 When I checked out some online videos, I found a lot of Hungarian, German, Polish, etc. recipes, which is just like I always make.  But I also found Vietnamese cabbage rolls, Greek cabbage rolls with a white sauce, and Italian cabbage rolls.  So I started thinking about it and decided I was going to change almost every  ingredient in my recipe.   I would use a different meat, a different cabbage, a different sauce, etc.

In short, I was going to reinvent my cabbage rolls.  To begin with, I had always used ground beef and will substitute ground pork mixed with some deli corned beef.  In the past, I have always used rice.  Now I’d like to use barley instead.  But I don't have any barley.  I do have  some chickpeas, which I will put in the blender.  I replaced regular cabbage with milder Napa cabbage.  A tomato-cream soup can replace the tomatoes, and, a Swiss cheese instead of the usual sour cream.

 These  new ingredients were reminding me of a Reuben sandwich.  Anyway, I tried the changes and it was different and delicious.  I want to get the ingredients for the Greek version and wlll use a lemon-wine sauce and ground lamb.

 You can tell I'm bored when I start reinventing recipes.  Also, this week I'm going to do an old pastry recipe--a  poppy-seed roll.  I will add    jam to the filling as well...why not?    

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When what do you have any garbage noWhen

 

3 comments:

Margaret said...

My late MIL made wonderful cabbage rolls. Me? I just boiled cabbage and served it with pork chops. I come from English and Scots heritage; my late MIL was a Yiddish Mama. I couldn't make a cabbage roll if my life depended on it -- but I can do a great pot roast, rump roast of beef or meaty/veggy chicken soup. And yes -- Scotch broth! (a slow-cooker makes that easier) So enjoy what you make, and have fun. May it keep you warm and cozy -- and bless you in this new year!

cq4lefleur said...

I’ve been using chard in place of cabbage, which is very delicious

S Barton said...

I love cabbage rolls but don't have them very often. It's been years actually. I think cabbage is an underrated cooked vegetable, I love it. Enjoy your new recipes for it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts