1/22/2024

A Miracle

 n the late 1960s I had a  collection of tiny gold nuggets added  to a  gold ring. I had worn it over 50 years as a keepsake on the 14 wonderful years I spent teaching in Alaska.  It was not only special because of the Akaska nuggets; it was special because I had my mother's diamond mounted on it after she died.

 Just before the COVID vaccine was released, I contracted COVID and was very ill for almost two weeks.

During that time I lost quite a bit of weight and my ring was loose.  When I recovered, I discovered my ring was missing.  The odds were it was someplace in the house, as the only other place I had been was to urgent care.

That was 2 1/2 years ago, and I have searched the entire house over and over--to no avail.   Every time I vacuumed, I listened for a noise of something sucked up.

 

When I got a new mattress last November and moved the bedroom furniture, I again searched, in case  it was buried in the carpet.

 So 2 1/2 years have gone by and still no ring.

 The other day we bought groceries and I was putting some of the frozen items  into the freezer which is in the garage.  I dropped a package of bacon, and  when I picked it up, I felt something  on the floor  at the base of the freezer.     Lo and behold, it was my ring!     I had gone in and out of the freezer numerous times and had never seen it.

 My Italian friend tells me that there is an old proverb, “The house never loses anything--it just hides it.”  But the house hiding it in the garage just doesn't seem fair.

 I am so tickled to have the ring back on my hand I keep touching it every few minutes to make sure it's still there.

 Now there is just one thing that is lost that would make   my happiness complete if found.   I had the one last   project I was working on. It was combining gold work   with fancy fabrics.  It was a culmination of years of   developing my needlework skills and was going to be my last hurrah.  It was the result of several years’ work. It disappeared about a year   ago and has never surfaced. I have searched and searched and I had a dear friend help me search some more.  I can only assume that I discarded it by mistake Now that I have found the ring, maybe there is hope for finding my precious needlework.

3 comments:

Momma Bear said...

Yay, You found it! Nothing beats the exaltation of finding a cherished lost thing.
I once lost a Pegasus charm when I was 10 or s,o given to me by a dear friend, in my grandmothers back yard. I swore I saw it where it went but diligent searching in that spot and "help" from the family dogs in an ever widening circle gleaned nothing. so i had to go home at the end of the week with it lost forever. lo and behold 20 years later it turned up, literally, whilst she was digging in some new tulips! How it got there was a mystery as I lost it in the middle of the 1/2 acre yard and the tulip bed was over by the house....weird. Patience will bring it back to you when you need it most.

Unknown said...

yeah! what a wonderful New Year's gift.....your precious ring!
Is your finger still very thin?If so, you should secure it wearing together a tighter very thin ring!

Margaret said...

I'm so glad you found that precious ring! As for the missing project...perhaps, yes, you've discarded it. Or...perhaps it's in a 'scrap bin' or in the bottom of a sewing box or project container, filed in a closet somewhere. Goldwork is indeed a special skill...but if you never find it, perhaps the memories of the making will bring a smile.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts