12/28/2023

When did he begin to shuffle


 

When did he begin to shuffle and I began to creep? When did we get old?   While we lived at the farm, my husband   walked  everyday to the mailbox 1/2 mile away.  Every day I watched him from the kitchen window as he started out with his long purposeful stride while swinging his arms to some inner rhythm.

 One day I noticed he stopped swinging his arms and his stride had turned into a shuffle.

 My daily walk was through an adjacent forest where I maintained a mile-long trail. I enjoyed the smell of pine needles, the song of birds, and the varied wildlife.

 Ever fearful of falling, I have begun to creep along.  And when my feet hurt, I hobble.    Most of ny friends now discuss  such things as which walkers move easily over rough ground (ones with larger wheels).  911 vehicles are a common sight in our senior neighborhood

 Now I walk around and around he circle where we live.  I can't get lost and there are people who will notice     when I fall.

 As I walk, I listen to Lawrence Welk and remember the forest. I remember  the day an owl flew right by my head and landed just ahead of me.  We both stopped and stared at each other.   I remember the eagle in the tall pine snag, and the I remember the turkey that frightened my dog.   I'm so grateful to have all these mememories to recall while I creep and hobble along.

4 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Gerry:
I can certainly relate. Now that we got more precipitation (the Wisconsin ground was bare through Christmas), my husband and I both worry about slipping and falling. We don't bounce like we used to (if we ever did), and a fall could easily sent us to the ER. How did we get old? My mind doesn't feel the same age as my body. That's for sure!
I hope you had a lovely Christmas, and wish you a healthy and happy New Year.
From Hickory Hill Farm to you and your husband.
xoxo
Donna

Margaret said...

I'm simply sending a hug (age 71, in western Canada).

Momma Bear said...

Well you both look hale and hearty for all that! At almost 60 I try not to complain too much about things, as many of my sewing friends age mates or older than I.
I help where I can and we all gossip and gaggle like a group of women do when together, enjoying each others company.

My husband and I "look after" His Mom Robin (92), pretty much by,leaving her alone!
She calls us when she needs something and we check in and drag her out to dinner or doctors appointments.
We both feel sometimes we don't do enough but when we try to discuss it with Robin, she either ignores the question or says "I'm fine".
I have noticed in the last year or so her, normally spry step, has gotten less so over time and is using her cane even in the house.
Though she still maintains, she is fine and will sometimes slap your hand away if you try to help.
She has friends in the 55 and up park where her Trailer is and goes for walks, has made friends with the humming birds and one of the park cats and seems content to be where she is. I could do more but she really doesn't want me to,so I try not to pry, or patronize, or intrude on her peace and she seems perfectly capable of taking care of her own self, thank you, go away. (My inference)
It maybe I am feeling just a little guilty where I probably shouldn't.

cq4lefleur said...

Nice photo. even though you hobble creep and. Shuffle, you are both still on the go and an inspiration. We used to have a saying when we were young so I will pass it on to you. “Keep on tracking“

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts