10/13/2023

Silly solution to a silly problem


 There are obvious things that you're not going to be able to do when you are losing your sight.  Things like driving a car, threading a needle, reading a book., and hammering a nail.  


But there are lots of little things that never even cross your mind.  Little  things that you will have to struggle with that seem so inconsequential that they seem silly. 

One such thing was was getting toothpaste on my toothbrush.  I either got it to my mouth and there was no toothpaste on it--or there was a great big glob. If there was no toothpaste, it meant I'd dropped it on the counter or in the sink or down on my shoe.  When I tried to clean the sink, there were great globs of toothpaste dried like cement.

I tried  colored toothpaste--to no avail.  I tried switching to a powder and put it in a spoon and dipped my brush in it.  And it was  also a mess. I finally gave up and  went looking for my husband with my toothbrush in hand.  He would adorn my toothbrush with the proper amount of paste.

But I but I always want to do things myself.  So I kept looking for a solution. because my husband  wasn't always there every time.  I want to brush my teeth. And I think I found the solution.  Even though this seems like a silly problem, the solution is even sillier.  I put the toothpaste on my tongue. I can feel how much I've got. Then I just pop my toothbrush over the toothpaste and I'm good to go.  No misses ever.  Very low tech but it works.

I was so eager to share this with Cheryl from the services for the blind. So on her next visit, I brought out the toothpaste and she immediately said, "Oh just put it on your tongue and brush."  So it seems lots of other people struggled with this silly problem, and they all found a solution before me.

2 comments:

Beth French said...

I'm so please that you are blogging again, even if it is about toothpaste!

S Barton said...

Wow, you don't think of those little things until you're living it. I smiled at your story and then to get to the end and find out everyone else is thinking just like you!
Sass

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts