9/29/2023

Bully for the bullies


I'm hoping this photo shows a bully hosta next to a sedum in a pot.   Photos are a real problem.'  

I'm looking at my garden in a new way as I tidy up for fall. There's definitely some changes to be made. When we moved here I thought the garden was small enough that weeds  couldn't get ahead of me.  But during the  summer when it was in the 90s, I just couldn't work outside and the weeds did, indeed, get  well ahead of me. 

So I have some areas I'm going to have to  replant with bullies. Unlike  plants that play well with others, bullies are very dense  and keep weeds at bay.  As a rule, they have sturdy foliage and growth habits but aren't invasive.  Sometimes bullies are just the right plant for the right spot.
     .
Some good bully plants I have are pulmonaria, hosta, achillea, daylilies, hellebores, iris, and Joe pye weed.    

 Last spring, I experimented with sedum  cuttings in old pots.  Sedums in pots are drought tolerant, easily moved about, need no deadheading, and have great fall color.  It has worked so well that I am going to do it  again next year.  It's always great when an idea works out.

-- 

1 comment:

JustGail said...

As out of fashion as it is, we have quite a few trees planted with hostas around the bases. Some of the old trees have knotty roots that can't be mowed over, the young trees need the protective distance from mowers and string trimmers. And it's rarely mentioned, but hummingbirds like the flowers.
Thanks for the list of some option to try and give some other plants to try.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts