8/15/2023

Make a pillow sham into a Yoga mat tote


 Obviously the first thing you're going to need is a pillow sham. I find thrift stores are the best source. I had six of them because I wanted to make pouches for things I have made for the grandchildren. I have always checked the pillow shams because sometimes I would find ones with special material or trims that I could use in other projects. 


The first thing to do is turn the sham over.  On the back is an opening to insert a pillow.  Hand stitch that opening closed, and then give the sham a good press.  Now you have a piece of fabric that is finished on all edges and lined. 
A great way to start a quick project.  

The pillow sham I used for my yoga mat was just the right size. The shams are different sizes so it would be a wise thing to do at this point to measure your mat when it is rolled to see if the pillow sham needs to be trimmed.

After it is all pressed and measured, you can think about adding some lace or pockets.  You want to do this before you  sew the long sides together.  I added a pocket for my phone and another for my coin purse and my card for the Y. 

Now it is time to sew the long seam.  Pillow shams vary in thickness depending on the amount of batting used.  M sham was thin enough my machine could go through easily  But on one of the pouches I had to open this long edge of the pillow sham and pick out some of the batting before it would go through my machine. 



You will need to add a strap or handle. I added the strap after I sewed the long seam, but it could be added before.  I attached one end 1 inch from the top and the other end about 3 inches from the bottom.  A strap can easily be made from coordinating material; or you can do what I did and use a belt from the thrift store.  Belts make great handles for totes and bags.  I look for soft leather, or jute.  I couldn't resist adding an old belt buckle just for bling.  It is non-functional.  The strap needs to be added BEFORE you close the bottom.

The last step is to do a running stitch around the bottom and gather it up. Tie a knot in the thread.  Just to be safe I put a dab of glue on the knot. 

Now you can pop your yoga mat into the tote and head off to class.  This tote would also make a quick and easy gift.

2 comments:

gocrazywithme said...

I'm going to have to try this. Another thing to look for at thrift stores!

lacysuzette said...

Thx Gerry! I wondered what to do with extra batting or fabric plus details for strap etc. So—just treat the sham as a single cut of fabric & go for it. Sounds like fun & my mat needs a tote! Thx again for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts