4/18/2019

Yep...... only me!!!

My friend told me that I was  the only person that would come up with this idea and the only person who would carry it out.... And she is probably right and she was  really thinking stupid enough.  Years ago I discovered that used carpet headed for the landfill made a great weed barrier and often used it in spots that weren't going to be planted anyway.. drives and paths.  It takes years and years for it to disintegrate and saves me from having to spray weed killer.  Plus it breathes and lets moisture through and recycles something... So over the years I had acquired an  excess of carpet rolls in the barn...

I sold the tractor which I used to groom the forest trail  (which is a mile long) and now I had to come up with an alternative for two sections of the trail that were particularly weedy... so last week I started cutting all the carpet into strips approx. 2 x 15 feet... It took a while working out the best tools and the best position to do it..  It turned out a utility knife and crawling on my hands and knees.  

Of course anytime I am on my hands and knees Morris thinks it's a game... Just try to cut carpet strips with a silly dog trying to lick your face and continually  rolling over to have his tummy rubbed.

I have about 40 strips cut and am now dragging them one by one about 1/2 mile into the forest. It has taken me almost 2 weeks and  I should be out of carpet in two more days,  95% of the trail requires miminal care and is through the pines... and looks like this.  This is along our eastern boundary and this is the view as I walk...;=














And this is the biggest weedy area and it is at the very back of the forest.  I'm not even sure what the weed is but I think it is bugloss.  I will have to look it up for sure.  It gets a gorgeous blue flower and a nasty burr that cling to dog and human alike.  It would take gallons of weed killer to eradicate it and I don't even want to do that.  Bees, spiders, and butterflies love it and I just want to walk through it..  Problem solved by crazy old lady and discarded carpet.
 Note: I always lay the carpet with the backing side up...

5 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

You are amazing! Great solution and Great exercise!

Suztats said...

My Dad used to do this. One time he used an orange shag rug, but he put it fiber side up and grew a great crop of fungus on it! lol

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I do that with old rugs too! One time I used one of those blue tarps.....BIG....HUGE mistake. That stuff lives forever.

Happy Easter
Carol

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Not so strange - we had carpet in our garden at our previous house too. Works like a charm! We used it to cover over areas that constantly wanted to be muddy and that the dogs made a beeline for every time.

msmo said...

what a great idea!!!! You're a wonder woman!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts