4/04/2019

He who throws the first stone!

When we moved into this house 39 years ago there was a room that would be for DH to use.  The only problem is he never uses it.  He said he had always wanted an antique roll top desk which we couldn't afford....but we did get a nice reproduction.  The office swivel chair though is a genuine antique.

But the top of the desk and the chair have neither seen the light of day for about 35 years and he is the one who complains about all my stuff. My husband has
"piles" everywhere in the house. At least my stuff has some value...right?  So I had to chuckle at some of the emails and comments I got from other folks trying to downsize... especially the note from Marilyn today about her husband having a hard time letting go of his things.

I would hyperventilate every time I would think of packing and moving but I realized that I can hire someone to do it and what is left I can have an estate dealer come in and organize a sale and do it all. My plan is for the proceeds of that sale will help defray the cost of movers.  The house will go "as is" because anyone who has ever watched a fixer upper on TV knows that a house that is 113 years old is guaranteed to have lots of issues.  I want to spend at least one more summer here and am taking my time searching for options and realtors and etc.. I like to have a plan. A friend is coming Sunday to drive me around to look at various 55+ mobile home communities,  I want somewhere close to doctors, hospitals, dentist, senior and bridge centers,  DH would like an upscale condo near a bakery, winery and a Starbucks..

The daffodils are blooming and I can't bear to be indoors if it isn't raining.  Dear Susie Wolfe  is sending me starts from her fabulous succulent collection as a start of a different kind of gardening that I can take with me.  I can hardly wait until they get here.

Janet asked if it would be possible for us to take girldog with us when we move....but alas she is a St Bernard and we will be lucky to find a place that will allow a small dog,,,, BUT we do have someone that is willing, in fact anxious, to take her if we need to find a home for her.

4 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

I am with DH upscale condo near Starbucks (where I am sitting right now by then fire place). Can’t even imagine what it would take to move out of our house wth all my “stuff” and my husbands library that he dearly loves!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I imagine if all the piles were to disappear it would be doubtful if any of it would be missed. I learned that when we moved here and have never regretted getting rid of anything. If I haven't used something in a couple of years it doesn't deserve to take up real estate in my living space....or at least so I try to tell myself!!

Mary Ann Tate said...

That looks like my husband's office/computer room. He has been very good about our downsizing. Yesterday he shredded tax returns from 1975-1995. I mean really. Why on earth would he need to keep those after all these years? I'm afraid that's just the tip of the iceberg as they say.....eeek!!!! We are also selling our house as is as it's only the land that's worth anything because they are tearing down the old houses on my street and putting up new houses. What I call McMansions:)

Momma Bear said...

There is a great 55+ on 228th and 31st in bothell. My hubbs and I just bought a trailer for my MIL who is 87 and sick of Chicago winters.
It is a bit old and will need some clean up and repair but all in all a good place.
The park itself it quiet, tidy and clean, close to shops (1mi downhill), yes a starbucks+, medical center and other stuff, not too far away.
if you are looking outside of spokane, that is.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts