10/23/2010

Update on lace cottage block

I wanted a smaller "cottage" pocket on the other side of my UFO cottage tote... . I had started by sketching a cottage scene on a piece of fairly heavy white silk.

So the next thing I did was color it lightly with alcohol inks.... It was a big decision for the lace for the cottage walls and I went through my whole stash... The one perfect piece was really too small but it was a tiny remnant of very old lace which was gifted to me by Cathy Kizerian during my visit last winter... Because it was the perfect weight and texture AND a gift from a friend I was determined to make it work...

It took some creative piecing and may need a vine to cover a spot or two. The lace for the thatch (roof) was easier. This was all in July and the decisions I made doing everything and why are in this post if you are interested...http://olderrose.blogspot.com/2010_07_01_archive.html


Now that it's this far along I'm thinking the old lace may be a bit fragile for a tote so it's future is undecided...probably the center for a piece of CQ. This has been my tote along needlework because I can easily stop and start and since it is almost all french knots it's mindless... And mindless is what I'm needing... My mother's longtime boyfriend, housemate, caregiver, and designated driver had a stroke and went to a rehab center after he was out of the hospital last week.. She is 91 and he is 90... She needs a walker and really couldn't be alone so I was staying there.. Then she had an "episode" with her heart and had to go in for a pacemaker on Thursday...

We're trying to get them into an assisted living facility because living independently is not an option any more... She came home today so until she can be moved (she's first on the waiting list) I'll be filling the roll of caregiver etc.... During that time I expect to get a LOT of stitching done... and everything else goes on hold...


5 comments:

FredaB said...

You amaze me at what you do. I really like the cottage and will watch and see what you do with it.

I hope your Mom can get in very soon and her friend. I had a laugh at the word "boyfriend" at 90 and 91. God Bless them. Hope they can get into the same place as they would be very onely apart from what you say and hope his stroke wasn't too bad.

Hugs

FredaB

Pearl said...

Really a beautiful cottage, I hope your Mom and her love will be o.k. and can get situated soon. It's not going to be easy but I'm sure it will all work out. Hugs, Pearl

Cathy said...

Hi Ger, sorry to hear about your mom. But at least it sounds like she’s doing better now. Hopefully they’ll get settled at the assisted living - the sooner the better, eh? I love the cottage! I’ve had one from a JBM class that been partially done for years. Maybe I’ll bring it along in February..... Hugs, Cathy

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Sorry to hear of the health problems of you mother and her friend. At 91 is sounds like she is doing pretty well. Love what you are doing with your cottage. (Now I want to try something like that :-) That will make an awesome CQ block! Take care, Connie

Susie Wolfe said...

The cottage is just lovely. It will be so much fun to watch it develop as are most of your projects.

So sorry to hear about your Mom and her friend. "It never rains, but it pours" certainly seems to be the case. I do hope a place opens up for them soon. I know you will do what is needed until then ..... just know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
SusieW

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts