10/16/2010

Challenge 2010 progress and Hideko's block....

First you can see that the lace clouds and the fan in the sky have disappeared. Some sort of embossed velvet moon will eventually be there.... The other just never met up with my vision... Fans were one of the monthly challenges and even though I eliminated the one in the sky there is the fan bridge, fan seams, and I have two more beaded fans waiting to go on with the peacocks...

I added more fabric to shape the pond... embroidered the rocks on felt and appliqued them to the block... Also added the lace bridge which sorta looks like the tree is growing out of it. If I had added the lace bridge first I could have moved the tree over.... too late now..but after I get more shrubbery (white Xs) it should help that problem... I have started to add greenery above the rocks... Left to do before I can start on peacocks... more blossoms on cherry tree, more greenery behind the pond and on the rocks (green Xs), koi and waterlilies in pond and some surface stitching on the pond... THEN I get to do the peacocks and foreground which I have been wanting to do since the beginning...


But for now I will stop and finish Ritva's "seams only" block so I can get that mailed out early. Hideko's block came in yesterday's mail... I had known for months what I wanted to do on this block but now that it's here I can see that it won't work.... I've decided by the piecing that she must be going to assemble these "on point" I am last and all before me have beautifully coordinated with images provided by Hideko of work from one of her favorite artists... So I have pinned it to a bulletin board and will think on it a couple days and should have something worked out by the time I finish Ritva's block....


3 comments:

Laurie said...

Gerry!! The challenge block is amazing!! What beautiful work, and the rocks ROCK!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am always so amazed at all I learn when I read your blog. The thought process is amazing you go through for these blocks. Much more work than a painter would have. In a painting, if you did not like where the tree ended up you simply repaint. Here with CQ you problem solve and think of ways to change the compostion.
Thank you for sharing your insight.
Debbie

Susan Elliott said...

I am so glad you took that fan out of the sky. A moon is a much better idea and supports the Japanese theme.

I like the plan for the pond...I didn't really know it was a pond until you drew my attention to it. I still absolutely love this block. i think because you're creating an overall coordinated image with this block versus just seam coverings etc...

Keep on keeping on...xo Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts