3/29/2009

Bench using sheep shelter glass


I don't have time to photo Lauri's block this morning but I can give you another bench and this one has a story.. We were visiting Ron's uncle in Hebron ND years ago and he was giving us a tour of one of Ron's aunt old farms... Coming home we passed an old railroad car sitting in the middle of a field with sheep wandering in and out... I could see stained glass windows along the top of the sides and some that had broken...
Always wanting really old glass, we walked over to look. The farmer was using this old discarded dining car for a sheep shelter. Not only was there gorgeous glass on the ground, the car itself was filled with elaborate wood paneling and ornate brass hardware to die for....and everything was rotting away. Since the farmer was a friend of Ron's uncle we decided to ask him if I could have some of the glass and some of the hardware.... His grown daughter hadn't realized the hardware was there and wanted it, but I could have all the old glass I wanted...
I pieced it back together and used it in this bench and in a ceiling light fixture in our family room.... There's a wonderful quality to really old glass. The wood in this bench is some I salvaged from an old barn the fire dept. was burning down for a training exercise... They had to drag me out... If I had known earlier I'd torn down the whole barn and toted it home...
But I still often think of all the ornate brass hardware...handles, knobs, hooks, door plates etc.... I hope she did something wonderful with it because I sure would have!!!

1 comment:

~~Sittin.n.Spinnin said...

Absolutely beautiful! What is it like to look at one thing and see something entirely different? I would think it would be an adventure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts