1/07/2020

My style is color and clutter......

 Years ago I had a friend whose style was definitely midcentury modern...very clean lines, simplistic with touches of raw wood or hand turned pottery and abstract paintings.  I  loved to quietly sit in her house and just feel the serenity, It was so soothing,  It reflected her personality as well.  She was elegant, unruffled,  quiet. organized, and straight forward.  As much as I loved being there I knew for certain that if I lived there it wouldn't last a week without being cluttered.  I really missed her when she moved away.

Another style I look longingly at in magazines and on the internet are the all white shabby chic rooms.  The shabby I can relate to and I also think  the white   would be very soothing...There's a simplicity to having just one color even though there is a LOT of clutter...  But if I lived there I would be adding just a touch of color here and there, here and there, and everywhere. 

If I had to choose between color and clutter I know for a fact I would choose clutter.  I love stuff... not just any stuff...my stuff...my memories and I want it all around me. Down sizing these memories is the biggest problem with this move.  I have actually had a  woman tell me that I had too much stuff in my house.  It made her uncomfortable.  Made a point to never invite her  again...  I am going to try using a lot of white in my office/studio thinking it would make the small room seem larger.   We'll see how long that lasts.

So I have to admit my inner self craves color and clutter. That defines my style... color and clutter..  And I am not using any restraint in the new house. I'm taking more stuff than the house can hold and hoping I can find a spot for everything. It may very well end up looking like this... I find color energizing and uplifting which I must need more than soothing.

5 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Color? YES!! I call those white rooms..Sterile. Not for me.
xx, Carol

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

While I enjoy seeing the white decor of others online, it definitely would not be for me. I need color and my own bit of clutter to make me feel comfy and content. I'm not adding any more stuff for the sake of collecting, I am enjoying what my late husband and I collected together. Lots and lots of memories. Plus, I've been changing things up a bit to better suit me over the past 7 years. He would like what I have done. Now, to not procrastinate and keep it all looking rather neat and orderly. ;-)

I look forward to seeing your new home filled with your things that bring you joy and color.

Have a great 2020 in your new home ~ FlowerLady

JustGail said...

I can't even wear a white shirt for 5 minutes without getting something on it, I can't imagine trying to keep an all white room clean! I've seen conflicting advice that says painting darker colors makes the corners disappear making the room seem larger. Those who give that advice say all painting a room light colors does is make it lighter.

Diane said...

LOL I had a friend who didn't have a square inch of wall space clear. You could hardly move around the rooms because there was stuff everywhere. So put me on edge, I never returned. I was invited, but I politely declined. Now after saying that, I could never live in a white room either. I'm firmly in the middle. Like light paint on the walls, but everything else is full of color - oriental rugs, needle point and crewel pillows, cross stitch samplers and family pictures on the walls. The beauty of this is we are free to live and decorate our houses as we like. There is no right or wrong. All we need is the confidence to go for what makes us happy. Best wishes to you and your husband in your new home, Gerry.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I simply can't imagine living in an all-white environment. I'd think I was living in a deep freeze! To say nothing about the fact that I'd be either constantly washing (or replacing!) everything after we slopped something on it. I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to colour/stuff and my 'collections' constantly evolve and change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts