1/31/2020

Just the reverse

 

When I first was  moving the old stuff to the new house the primary focus was finding the  item for a specific spot at the new house.  Now instead of having a spot to fill,  it more often than not it is the reverse.  I have something I love and am searching for a spot  for it.

A good example is this topiary I made years ago.  It is more than a little dusty and definitely needs some refurbishing with the flowers and greenery.  But I'm not ready to part with it and not because of the actually topiary part.

















I have a custodial attachment to the very large jardinière that is holding it.  It is very old and I just adore it.  It could never hold water or soil as it has a serious crack on the inside.  So it is my responsibility to see it comes to no harm.....Right????

Then there is giant crock that has been in the entry way for at least 30 years.  Each fall I fill it with lavender or baby's breath and under it is where we hide the house key.  Again this is a large item and not going to be easy to place.  No solution has come to mind as yet but it is definitely a keeper.  I may make a top for it and use it on the deck as a side table.  I'm still thinking on this one.


Years ago when I bought my gas stove (which is coming with me) it was meant to be placed against the wall but that was not the case in my kitchen and the back of the panel was exposed..  So I had to come up with something to hide the back of the stove's panel and I painted this board.


I just don't see a use or place for it at the new house.  It would make a darling back to a bench as it is fairly large.. I'm not all that attached to it so if it has to go to the thrift store I can sleep nights without it.

 What will cause a sleepless night or two is not taking this trunk.  I have had it over 50 years.  I moved it to Alaska with me in the 60s and then moved it to Spokane with me in 1980.  It has always held all my quilts.  But it is huge and try as I might I fear it will have to find a new home. I'm hoping my grandson will want it.


Now I have a place for this piece of needlework from a dear friend but it is the old rusty hinges that must be where I can see them every day. These hinges are from a door I blogged about almost exactly 10 years ago. These hinges are a constant reminder  no matter how bad things seem I must get up, dust myself off, hitch up my britches and get on with it....
 http://olderrose.blogspot.com/search?q=door  I did indeed find another door from the old part of the barn...it still is sitting on saw horses and DH has never dared to  mention  hauling it away.  In fact I may just take the door and the saw horsesas well with me.




1 comment:

gocrazywithme said...

Hi Gerry! I just spent a pleasant 1/2 hour catching up on your prep for moving. Wow, I love the kitchen island and pantry that you painted so beautifully. Your old and new homes have such style and are a perfect reflection of you. I wish you much joy in your new home.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts