5/11/2014

Decisions

Doing the patches in bunches has gone so well and so fast...  I will have all the clumps done today...  Now do I want to include black.  I'm really on the fence with this decision and it has to be done now.

I spent time looking at a lot of antique quilts and most all of the ones I loved incorporated black with the bright jewel tones..  This color palette is so alien to me that I'm having a hard time getting a feel for it.

I know that the black makes the colors really pop so I will go for it.







But do I want to add the black as patches or as lace  or both? I'm still thinking on this..

And if I add the black as patches do I want to add ecru laces?   I would love to use the triangular pieces as they are antique handmade from Italy.  They were made years ago by a friend's relative to use on napkins and I've been saving them for something really special and this may be it..  They are absolute gorgeous and would suit this project well. 







I stacked materials and cut the patches in threes by just randomly grabbing fabric... I made no attempt to coordinate colors at all.. 











After I had them all cut I kept them organized in baggies pinned to the master sheet.  This has all gone so smoothly and I'm really grateful to Marilyn for suggesting it...









5 comments:

Marilyn said...

IMHO, definitely black. Rather than black patches I would probably go with a combination of the black lace and and the lovely ecru pieces and embellish them with black threads, beads and/or ribbons. Oh, oh, just had another thought. You could put some of the black lace around some of the ecru bits. That would make the colours pop and enhance the lovely ecru bits.

Lisa Boni said...

Oh! Go with the black lace! So much more interest! The ecru lace looks far to bland for all those bright colors. Like a splash of mud. Love, love, love the black lace though!

margaret said...

I differ I think black patches, bit concerned that the lovely lace will not stand up to too much laundering, would be a shame to spoil it as it is so pretty, looking so colourful

Maureen said...

Black being my very favorite, I vote for black patches and embellishments! I just love the way every color looks with it. Whatever you decide...your work is always stunning.

Suztats said...

Love the black with the jewel tones, so I vote for black patches as well as black lace on the colours.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts