11/06/2013

Hanky Panky Quilts

I may never get the suffrage quilt done if I don't quit getting distracted with other inspirations. I have been trying to think ahead of projects that would interest my new stitchers and one of the stitchers herself gave me the best idea... Years ago she and I both bought Cindy Brick's "Hanky Panky CQ quilts" and had never gotten around to doing it.. She has an immense collection of hankies but I have very few by comparison...

I thought I'd browse Etsy and Ebay for cutter lots of vintage hankies and did quite well.  I am like a gambler with an addiction and when I go on such a quest I set a dollar limit before I start or I want it all..  I decided to get as many as I could for $20.  But I actually spent $30 but I got almost 60 hankies from 2 dealers..  Plenty enough for me and to share with others.

Ever since I had seen one of these quilts it has been on my list to to-do projects. Cindy's book was out of print for a long time but has gone into its 12th printing and is now available.. I encourage anyone looking for this book to buy it now.














Stopped at a thrift store today just to get some pots for amaryllis gifts and  found this pillow case ($2.99) which may find its way into my hanky quilt.  I have another similar lady with a crocheted skirt but it may be too large... if I can find it.  I also found a fabulous piece of black lace on a dress and believe I will have to go back and buy it....

This particular thrift store is just across the street from my post office... Far too convenient.

5 comments:

Marilyn said...

I need to just stay home and not look at my computer and get some stuff done! I was poking about the internet yesterday and found some quilt patterns for The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter. There were many more but these are the ones that interested me. So another project to add to the list. Winter is supposed to be finishing up projects I've already started, not adding new ones. And tomorrow I'm going with a friend thrift shopping - she called and said the vet is coming to put down her old horse and she doesn't want to be there so wanted me to go somewhere with her. Maybe I'll be lucky and won't find anything.

margaret said...

what great buys, now we will wait and see your CQ hanky quilt, I am sure if is going to be wonderful. Books are my downfall on the internet, I laughed when I got an email the other day telling me they had a copy of Treasury of crazy quilting stitches by Carole Samples and it is only $306.12 have passed on that purchase but I expect someone will buy it..

Mosaic Magpie said...

It seems there are always too many projects and not enough time! I like the idea of using the hankies...I will have to try and find the book.
xo,
Deb

Lorraine said...

Fabulous selection to add to your stash. Can hardly wait to see this project underway.

Cathy said...

What a coinky-dink! Bev and Susan were over on Thursday and we were talking about hankie quilts. I gave them some hankies, showed them one of my hankie pillows, and we talked about how to make them. With vintage linens as the theme for one of next year's quarterly challenges, I feel a project coming on, too! But first, I'm off to stitch on the next block in our Lace and Pearls RR. It belongs to Connie, and it is pieced with - honestly - vintage hankies. (Cue the Twilight Zone music).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts