12/25/2011

Let sun shine on !!!

I knew what I wanted... a calendar that showed the light gain each day for my longitude and latitude...  I knew if I Googled I'd probably find it... and I did...  http://www.sunrisesunset.com/  Today I gain two whole minutes.... which doesn't seem like much, but in 10 days it will add up to 20 minutes and a really noticeable length in my daylight hours.

After living 14 years in Anchorage Alaska I can personally attest to the effects of SAD (Seasonal affective disorder)... I loved Alaska... the mountains, the weather, the winter and the summer, the country, the people... but I just couldn't face another winter of depressing darkness.....

At this website you  just enter your city or town and it will come up with the right statistics...  I've run off all the months through June... of course in June I go into denial...I have a zillion lights in my house, get outside every day and take lots of vitamin D but by Dec 20th I struggle to get out of bed.  I'll keep this new little calendar posted by my computer and rejoice every day in that extra light.  Having the calendar is so joyful and it adds a  happy face to every day. A true day brightener.....

p.s. Speaking of day brighteners I'm still  enjoying Pandora Internet radio immensely....  My favorite station for me is "the entertainer" which is totally ragtime piano with lots of Scott Joplin, Scott Boling, Eubie Blake, Fats Waller, Jelly Roll Morton etc.  

6 comments:

Evy said...

Merry christmas to you, I hope that this day is of the happiest for you and your family!
Joyeux Noël!!!

Beautiful day

Diane said...

Merry Christmas Gerry! Thanks for the link. I checked out January in my area and it's interesting to see that those extra minutes of daylight at sunrise speed up from the beginning to the end of the month.

Faith said...

Gerry, Thank you for the link!! I've never lived in Alaska, but I definitely feel the SAD here in Oregon. Something that I'm also finding helps (and it's only been a bit over a week) is a SAD therapy light. Now I just need to get it back to the treadmill, because even though I never seem to feel it this time of year, I know the walking helps, too.

Mosaic Magpie said...

It is really nice to see the daylight lasting a little longer each day. I wish we would not do the spring ahead, fall back thing with the time. That messes me up for weeks!
Deb

FredaB said...

Thanks for the link Gerry. I printed out Jan. for Harv and he enjoyed looking at it. Also sent the link to my daughter for the boys to play around with. Thought they would find it fun to look up cities all over the world.

Hugs

FredaB

black bear cabin said...

wow...thanks for this link! Growing up in Los Angeles, i never had any problems with light, but now living in a canyon in the mountains, where our cabin has very minimal sunlight shining on it in the winter, this calendar will come in handy. i mildly suffer from SAD, but only because i started taking vitamin D in the winter months, which seems to make a difference. You never realize how much the sunlight effects you till its not there. I always celebrate the winter solstice for the same reason...knowing each day after that i will get a little bit more light :) Hugs and happy new year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts