1/12/2010

Bead Journal Progress

I set the quail aside and beaded the little nuthatch. We have both the pygmy and the red-breasted nuthatches. I chose the latter because it is so much more colorful. They are such busybodies and such fun to watch... We have several dozen all the time.

Then I decided to put all the designs I have sketched so far on the muslin so I could see them all together. The quail is kinda static but I'm happy with the rest. I decided I don't want blue backgrounds on all of them so will try other colors. I even tried alcohol dyes on some beads today with an interesting result.

I want to try to get more and more texture into the beading and maybe a little more whimsy. The goldfinch is the same design that I already did in embroidery. It will be interesting to see the two different treatments on the same design. I did add the robin family and mama will have a bug in her beak. Also added a bluebird who will be nestled in blue morning glory vines..

8 comments:

Carol Creech said...

I absolutely love this! So great that you are beading birds. I look forward to following your progress. They are looking terrific!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I love your birds! We have some of the same birds outside our house, and they are fun to see in beads -- very nice!

Dee D said...

I love your birds.

Mary-Frances said...

While these are GORGEOUS! I must say STOP! You're making the rest of us look bad - ha ha! You're already doing March? Am I right? ha ha. Ok, I guess I better go stitch - NOW! ha ha

Robin said...

You are off the charts with talent, Gerry... Being a bird watcher/lover, your work is very, very special to me. Quails, in real life are either static or on the move so fast that you wouldn't be able to capture an image. Your nuthatch is adorable and I love the way you did the background.

Robin A.

Ati said...

You make it not easy for yourselfs with all those little details, such as a bug. But I like to see them together now Gerry. You get an fantastic collection at the end of the year!

Penny said...

Oh my, glad we aren't 'competing' you would put me to shame. These are incredibly beautiful. I love the use of birds in art and capturing them with beads is a special art.

Susan Elliott said...

Gerry...These birds are just wonderful and I love how you're jumping in with both feet! You're amazing alacrity is putting this turtle to shame...but I'm loving every minute of it so don't stop!

Can't wait for the bluebird and the goldfinch -- ALL of them are wonderful. I don't have an email address to send you my snail addy so email me when you get a minute...xo Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts