4/02/2020

Elastic Alternative - nifty

One of the things that amaze me about this move is that everything that I felt I had to have seems to have the perfect spot in the new house. A good example is my featherweight sewing machine. At the farm it was always handy on it's little vintage cart in the dining room and in the new house there is a perfect little spot at the end of the buffet right next to the slider window. It just fits and I can easily use it  whenever I need to. That is whenever I need to after I find the foot pedal,   my sewing scissors and all my sewing stuff.
 
 
When I did finally find the foot pedal for my machine I decided to make face masks for the family. But of course by now there is not a piece of elastic to be found in town and on the Internet it can't be delivered until May. 
 
So   I was searching for an alternative and decided the perfect thing would be the little elastic stretchy thing for ponytails and I pick some up at the dollar store they work great. Three of them looped together are the perfect length for a large mask and two of them looped together are perfect for a smaller mask. It's fun having the pretty colors as well.
 
I'm at an awkward stage with unpacking I which   was evident when I started looking for my foot pedal for my sewing machine. A  lot of this stuff that is   still packed needs to be on shelves and the shelves are still at the farm and even if I had them I didn't have the new brackets. Now the brackets have come and I wanted the handyman to help me put up the shelves but he isn't working because of the virus restrictions.  It's like a catch-22.




4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm making masks with bias tape for ties rather than the elastic. Ran out of bias tape so now I'm just making the ties from strips of fabric. It seems that the elastic is hurting ears so, at least here, they are preferring fabric ties. Stay safe, stay well!

cq4lefleur said...

Step by step. Looking good. You are fixing it up so pretty and organized.

gocrazywithme said...

I have a huge new package of those hair elastics and wondered if they'd work for the masks. So far I've been making masks for family with ties. I had a few pieces of bias tape, but will now have to make my own with fabric strips. A difficult process, as my back screams at me if I sit at the sewing machine too long.
They said CQing the mask front was a no-no, but I had some lovely quilting cotton with a cheater cloth print of a CQ, so my mask is still CQ themed, and has a spider and web in a prominent spot. Husband's is a camping print which I fussy cut with bears front and center. We are stylin'!

Momma Bear said...

If you have an old bungee cord you can rip away the outer core and there are lots of little stretchy rubber bands inside.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts