11/13/2019

I'm on the move

 
This summer I shared how long it took me to get DH on board with moving and downsizing.  Even after he agreed somewhat reluctantly he was adamant he wasn't going to live in a "trailer court."  Of course this was exactly where I wanted to be...  not really a "trailer court" but a senior manufactured home park.  Again it took months to change his mind.  So this is our new home ...well it will be within the next few days as we just have to sign the final papers and get the keys. It is close to the senior center, the YMCA, doctors,  a bus line. etc..
 
At first the plan was to sell the farm  and then find a place to live.  But I was afraid doing that could leave us not finding what we wanted when we sold.  So I kept looking and when this home came up I wanted it.  It has 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a nice tiny yard and is in a quiet well maintained senior park.  Now we can slowly move and sell the farm early spring.  A more costly plan but we are assured of a home that fits our needs for our last years.  It is move-in ready but even so there are many things I want to do so you will be seeing a lot of before/after pictures.
 
 I'm anxiously watching the weather.  I have about 100 plants dug and potted and ready to move to new house.  It looks like the weather will hold through the weekend so I want to get the house signing done and the plants at least heeled before the ground freezes ..  It will be a close call.   Then I can relax a bit.  If you wonder why  the plants are so important it is because cooking and gardening are about the only stress free ways I have to pass the time now and having things from this garden will be so comforting. 

My lovely DIL was here to help a few days last week.   She was like a whirlwind and I was trying to make decisions as she went whizzing along..   We got all the window quilts down and all the hardware as well and took them to the huge machine at the laundry mat. We also dismantled all the furniture in the small bedroom upstairs, sorted lots of cupboards and cabinets. We kept DH busy hauling stuff for donation or recycling.  She  is going to come back later in spring to help me paint the kitchen cabinets in the new house..... 

9 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you Gerry - it looks like a perfect home for the two of you. Sometimes being able to move slowly is a good thing because it gives you time to make really good decisions about what you truly need and have room for without moving too much 'stuff' entirely on speculation.

Cathy said...

I think you’ve hit upon a logical, more easily-managed way to move! Congrats on your new, smaller home and good luck with the plants. Bruce and I started a 5-year downsizing plan. We’re in Round 1 of going through stuff and some miscellaneous furniture pieces to sort out for kids, donations, trash.

Unknown said...

Hi Jerry I meet you at a Retreat in Wichita Ks. I read your post thought Pat Winters site. So glad you found a place, it really looks nice. Many years ago my 2nd cousins bought a place like yours in a warmer place for the winter they really loved it and placed their house on the market after the first year you could not get them to come home to Ks. they had gulf carts to get around in, events in the club house, and place to see and go to, with other people there age. I know you like to cook they even had a cooking and dinner club, so if your new home does not, that could be your new mission. You are smart to move in to the new home and clean up and paint the other home as the weather permits and you health just get pass the winter and things will be fine.

gingersnapsat@att.net

Shirlee Fassell said...

Gerry I’m so happy for you!! You have to tell me how you can convinced your husband to move I don’t think I have a chance but if you give me your secret and I can start trying! Now I know why you haven’t been posting you’ve been busy! P.S love the new place!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I don't envy the "move" or the "sale", but in reality the area where you are going is a good place to be. Close to people and amenities. You are brave to leave the farm. Tell me again...is someone looking out for the dog?
xx, Carol

justanitzybitcrazy said...

I was curious as to why no blog post for some time now. All my best with your new move, the place looks just perfect. Hope you will be happy there. I'm not looking forward to the day when I will have to move off the farm. Lucky for dh and I that our daughter and her new husband are all settled next door and I'm hoping to be able to have another 20 years here if possible...maybe wishful thinking, lol.
Take care of yourselves, hugs :)

Bobbie said...

Your new abode looks lovely. Happy for all good things to come to you in your new home. Looking forward to the posts featuring all the things you will do to making it your HOME. I admire all your creativity!

Marilyn said...

Congratulations. I don't envy you the purging and the packing and the moving and the unpacking though. I had 3 weeks to pack up our whole house for the move. I had been purging all along as I was getting the house ready to list but there was still a lot of stuff. I just unpacked the last box this week and I've been having a reading marathon for the last few days because I was too tired to do much else.

Momma Bear said...

I dont envy your move but the adventure of it sounds like fun! Though I cant imagine having to purge the barn! We brought my MIL over the mountains from Chicago last spring and Installed her in a 55+ mobile home park not far from our house. Its very nice and quiet, clean and the people around her are all friendly. Though we are still in the process of getting her settled with doctors and such, she seems to be adjusting and is happy with the choice we made for her. How is the neighbor dog?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts