11/21/2014

Painting and Sadder Note - post # 1496

This is one of the new buttons I've painted with my new lens.  Keeping in mind that this button is only a tad larger than 1", look at the detail in the basket. 

While I'm waiting for Nikki's blocks I have been painting and painting and painting...  flowers, owls, cats, frogs and ladybugs on parade.  They are in various stages of completion and then need to be sealed (which takes 3 days) so it will be a few days before they are posted.  I do not often paint cats.  I have a problem with cats...they all end up looking like dogs...

And if you do any craft or art work that required acrylic paints I have a great tip for you.. For years I used wooden skewers as  stirrers until I discovered that the cup stoppers from Starbucks are the best thing EVER...

I put out the word and everyone is saving them for me and I have a lifetime supply because they are easily wiped off and reusable...  The little flat knob at the bottom is perfect for getting just that small dab of paint...







Now the sad note! I planted this place for wildlife and it brings me great joy and I am perfectly fine with nature taking its course.  We are not overwhelmed with deer but we have them daily eating up the apples, and other fruit.  I love watching them day-to-day and have favorites. 

This year it was a beautiful doe who brought her fawn when it could barely hobble.  They have been in the garden every day fattening up for winter and to drink from the heated water pan we put out for them when it is freezing.

Here it is this morning cleaning up the sunflowers seeds the birds drop... It had been alone for 2 days and when I drove home from taking care of my mother yesterday  I saw the doe ... dead...  hanging from a hook in front of my neighbor's garage  If you remember a while back I was walking in my forest and heard a whiz/click and found a motion camera hidden in MY trees focused on MY trail on MY land.  Yep.. that same neighbor.   The same one who sits on his deck and shoots at owls, hawks and anything that moves... We tried to make this a no-shooting zone but couldn't get enough support.

The fawn eats a bit and spends the rest the day standing at the gate watching for it's mother...  Without mom it will be easy for the coyotes to pick it off..  Makes my heart so sad.

6 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

The button is stunning and full of details.
About the doe...I have mixed feelings about hunting for food and hunting for sport...but when you see that sweet fawn looking for momma, it is heart breaking.
xo,
Deb

Marilyn said...

That's so sad about the doe and now the fawn. The button is gorgeous though. Glad your lamp is working so well.

gocrazywithme said...

So sad for the loss of your doe. That neighbor sounds like an ass. I don't have a problem with hunting (I better not, my freezer is full of deer and elk), but I don't like that guy.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What lovely detailed work on that button.

Hunting for food is one thing. Hunting with a mean spirit is quite another.

Shirlee Fassell said...

Button detail is wonderful! You painted my cat on a button and it looks like my cat not a dog! So sad about the deer.

Laurie said...

I am sad about your deer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts