4/04/2013

Bluebird audition and parts are parts.

I use birds a LOT in my work and do have a huge picture file of all kinds of birds which I have compiled over the years...  I like to do them "off block" on felt or something backed with fusible tricot....(http://olderrose.blogspot.com/p/bird-on-felt-tutorial.html)  But before I get to that stage I usually play with them in "parts"

I can almost guarantee that you will never find the perfect bird in the perfect shape to fit what you want to do.  At least I never do.... So I will print off a variety of  birds in a variety of sizes and cut them into parts and play with them like puzzle pieces... interchanging them if necessary... After all a wing is a wing is a wing...  Eventually I find an arrangement I like which fits my block and I tape them back together. These are three birds I was auditioning for the upper left corner which is an awkward space.  This technique works with most animals...You can rearrange ears, tails, set of the head etc.....

The  birds pinned to my block below are parts which have been taped back together and now I will trace the shape onto felt... I did finish the stumpwork birdbath and use bits and scraps of felt to test placement... There will be a cluster of forget-me-nots at the base of the birdbath to finish it off... so the end is in sight now.
p.s. found the camera but the freezer died.


5 comments:

Marilyn said...

My gosh, you sure aren't having good luck with appliances lately. Here's hoping its at an end now. I'd be hard pressed to ever pick a favourite block of yours. I love them all. And you know so many ways of getting things to work on blocks. And you are very generous about sharing. Thank you. I got my old teal Japanese class 15 machine up and running yesterday so today I'm going to work on the aqua and salmon coloured one. I love vintage machines :).

crafty cat corner said...

Mmmmmm, I'm looking forward to seeing these birds finished, I've never thought of using felt on my blocks but will be giving it a go.
I'm working on a couple of crazy projects now, one of which has almost gone in the bin several times but always managed to draw me in again. Just finished a couple of butterflies on it and thinking I might just keep going. lol
So glad I found your site.
Briony
x

margaret said...

I would never of thought of printing off pictures and cutting them up but you have certainly done a great job here,my imaginating is lacking! thanks for sharing another tip with us, the block is looking great

Suztats said...

Your bird bath is wonderful, and I can't wait to see the birds! I learn so much from your posts Gerry-Thank you.

Marlynne said...

I really like your idea of cutting the birds apart and using different parts. But I don't understand the tracing off onto felt part. So you have a plain felt bird you embellish or what?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts