8/19/2012

Treasures from the barn...... again

I have a passion for shallow drawers and it doesn't get better than these.. I used these for years to store pressed flowers and they were perfect.  But I don't press flowers any more and they were just sitting in the barn..

They are vintage steel flat files for cards.... probably circa 1940s... I acquired them when the city library converted everything to computers and had a huge equipment sale..   Besides these I bought  another blueprint-size flat file... also steel and vintage...and I use it for beads now.

I moved these into the house yesterday and cleaned them up... The bottom one is 11" wide by 18" long and the upper is about 9"x 18".  The drawers are only about 1 1/2" deep. Being steel they are VERY heavy.

They are going to be my main storage for my favorite buttons so I can easily sort and choose..  I have made some temporary labels which will likely  change.  Now I have buttons in cabinets, bins, jars, and plastic bags in 4 different rooms and in the barn..

The nice thing about the drawers is that they fully extend so everything in them is accessible...

I thought about spray painting them but when I did a little research I discovered these cabinets are very collectible and quite expensive so I will keep them in their original condition.  You all know how I love finding YET another life for something languishing in the barn!!!

(I know my friend Connie K is drooling on her keyboard)

5 comments:

Shirlee Fassell said...

I see items like this at Brimfield all the time. They probably would be from 3 to 4 hundred dollars each. Lots of metal furniture etc gets stripped of the paint and left with just the metal finish.

Marilyn said...

Oh my, your friend Connie isn't the only one drooling. Your barn has so many treasures. Its fun to read about them as you bring them out or show them to us.

Chris Flynn said...

OMGoodness! I just discovered your wonderland blog! Wish I could come visit your barn! Thank you so much for your tutorial on the Boho bags! I made my first, dealt with the bulk, but had fun anyway! I'll be checking in very often!
Sweet Blessings, Chris

Lorraine said...

I agree with Marilyn, Connie isn't the only one drooling!

Anonymous said...

I'm drooler #3. I love those kinds of drawers. When I was in high school, my art teacher had similar ones full of pictures that we could use as inspiration for paintings. He's the one who started me on keeping files of inspirational pictures, instructions, etc. Hugs, Barbara Warner

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts