12/18/2009

Finding Color Inspiration

This is response to a question on where to look for inspiration pieces.. A good place to start from scratch is Googles images.* First I just typed vintage posters and watched what came up and found two that had color combos I loved. One with peach, turquoise and brown really appealled to me and will be a keeper in my file because I like subtle color. It has your peach and browns along with soft greens and gold and then if you look closely you notice the turquoise as an accent.. The advantage to skimming through vintage posters is that most were silkscreen or lithography and had limited color palettes due to the printing processes available......


Another option is also using Google images... just type in what you think the colors are and add fabric or decorator fabric... ex "brown, peach decorator fabric" and all kinds of prints how up in those colors... The advantage of using these methods is that it is not only the combo of colors, the value and proportions of the colors are there for you to see. I typed in "lime green pink decorator fabric" because my new block is kinda limey and found this one I liked.
In the process of doing the vintage poster search I found this one which does not fit into any plan I have at the moment but I loved it and starting singing and dancing so will file it away until I need it...









* Never used Google images??? Go to Google's main page and look to the upper left and click on images. It is amazing....



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts