10/17/2009

"My Sweet Gypsy Rose"

I almost always continue working a RR block once it comes home. Mostly I just add more embellishments but I occasionally move things and on the rare occasion I will remove something. I did it all of the above on this block.. I had no strong connection to this block when it left home but the moment Lisa did the rose it became "My Sweet Gypsy Rose" block..

Some of the obvious changes included adding a leather tambourine and a crystal ball. I turned the spider web into a chart of the heavens and replaced the buttons with coins from around the world. I also added the hand on the lower left and have a matching butterfly to put on the lower right...
Less obvious additions were filling in around Ati's gorgeous roses and bringing them right over the edge of the silkie.

And I added a few pearls and other beads to these bright roses..

The unplanned surprise was the braid on this seam... Apparently Diane was not happy with it and beaded over it as you can see on the left. As I peered closely I could see paisleys under the beads so I decided to remove the beads. If I didn't like the paisleys I could always put the beads back. But since there were two other paisleys on the block I decided to look at least and when I uncovered the braid, I loved it....

Sometimes changes are very tiny indeed. The green vine on the purple seam was kinda lost so I used just one strand of a light green that matched the light green of the rose leaf and wove it in and along the vine to highlight it.

There is a butterfly on the lower right that still needs to be sewn on but I love this block and love everything my RR mates added to it... This would never be so special to me without all their efforts on it.... Thanks and big hugs to Diane, Diane, Ati and Lisa....

2 comments:

qwerty said...

What a huge difference that little bit of lighter green makes on that vine! What an excellent example of how to make something work, even if it doesn't seem to at first. Thanks for this!!

Lisa Boni said...

What fun to see the block after you've finished it up!

just a note... I think it was my work on it and not Carolyn. We had Ati, Wendy, Meg and myself in this round robin.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts