8/25/2009

Today's bread...oatmeal sourdough



We had someone at the house the other day who said she stopped baking bread because flour had gotten so expensive it was cheaper to buy bread..... I am still thinking this through....deep thinking... very deep thinking...

First I don't bake bread to save money...There are just the two of us and baking the bread isn't a necessity. I started baking bread I suppose to save money as a new bride in 1958 and entered some in the fair in the town of our first teaching positions. I won the best of show with a huge double blue ribbon and was named Wheat Queen of Garfield county (obviously a big deal in a wheat growing county).

But I've always made bread... always. I love the smell of the yeast, the feel of the dough in my hands, the aroma of it baking and what could be better than that first slice when it comes out of the oven.. Baking bread is a healing, restorative, and essential experience to me...It is a living and breathing thing in my hands.

But it had become routine...feed the dogs, set the dough to rise and go feed the sheep...yada yada. I guess I had just taken it for granted after so many years until she said that and I started thinking about how important it really is to me and it certainly makes for a happy husband.. . Now making cheese has also turned into an almost orgasmic experience...more on that later....


"Happy Husband"


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love baking, and haven't gotten my sourdough out for several weeks. Your bread is beautiful, thanks for the jump~start to get started baking again!! Suzie in Idaho

Susan said...

Gerry,
All I can say is 'Yummmm!' Is this going to be part of the 'tutes' at retreat?

Ati said...

Your bread looks great and I bat it taste great also. I also bake bread three, four times in a week, but a few years ago I have bought a baking machine. My hands wouldn't cooperated any longer ;(
But... the smell is the same when the machine knead the dough and when it is baking the bread ready :)

Karen said...

I can almost smell it..I love fresh homemade bread!

SY said...

Hello,
Your bread looks scrumptious. I discovered the joy of making bread when I was in high school during Home Ec (yes that surely dates me, lol!) After spoiling my family for years with various baked breads I discovered sour dough starters and all the fabulous ways to use it. I don't believe in bread machines, no matter how good they smell, they just lack something in taste and texture that can only come from stirring and kneading the dough with your own two hands. I know that many people like them and use them, they just don't appeal to me personally. Do you have a starter recipe that you could share? I can leave my email addy if you wish to respond. My mouth is watering just thinking about the smell of bread baking in the oven. I may have to do something about that!
im syfi at yahoo dot com.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts