8/08/2009

Sea Life on Parade

This is a first...painting a fish button...... It is nestled on the left near Faye's lovely treasure chest.

I always thing of everything traveling in groups in the sea and that is what I set out to capture.... After the dolphins and circling fish I add the turtles and painted the bead fish.. Even tho this was a very large block I ran out of room so am sending it on home to Nicki and maybe she can sneak something else in there... There is one unfinished seam.

The turtles were worked on felt on a hoop so they are very dimensional and the beads were an experiment using neon paint which was a disaster as it just turned transparent on the glass and I had to go back to acryllics. I wanted to use black on the fish to echo the black in the sequin trim... but it doesn't show in the photo.

Added some arrows so you can see how the elements keep moving the eye around the block. I used the painted button as an arrow toward the treasure chest..... It stops the eye to focus just the same as the fish on the lower right brings the eye right into the scene and the turtles.... When you look at other blocks it is fun to watch for the elements that move and stop the eye...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

One word---GO-A-JUS!!!! Debbie (Maine)

gocrazywithme said...

Love the whole block, but your fish button is wonderful!

CarolynPhi said...

Gerry:

As always, your work is just wonderful, but those turtles are my favorites!!!

Carolyn

Nicki Lee said...

OMG! Carolyn is right! I'm going to cry! I love everything about this block and can't wait for it to come home! Thank you Gerry for the beautiful work you did and the awesome button! All of you ladies did such a wonderful job.

I am leaving for vacation and won't be home until next Saturday so as soon as I pick up my mail from the PO I'm sure you will be hearing my screams of delight!

Hugs!
Nicki

Karen said...

Wonderful!!!

Rose Anne B said...

Ohhhh Gerry that button is just gorgeous and looks so sharp on the block too!!! Lucky Nicki!!!

Susan said...

Gerry,
I really appreciate your explanations about 'movement' in a block and also about techniques used. The turtle/tortoises are aweseome! And I like the chain stitch waves. Great block!

Susan

Ati said...

Great work Gerry !

Susan Elliott said...

Your painted buttons are always a treasure but I think you get the ingenuity award today for painting the circle buttons with yellow tips for the school of fish. I loved it. And, i agree that the turtles are just a joy to behold. It makes me feel under the sea just to look at it!

Wendy said...

Your button is gorgeous! You are such a talented lady. I love what you have done on this block.

Thelma said...

Such awesome work Gerry!

aMUSEing said...

I love your fish button!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts