8/15/2009

Dealin' with Wheelin'


When Fritz was a puppy I had to build him a ramp to get up the 2 steps to the back deck.... Now that he is disabled and on wheels I built him another ramp to get up the same two steps. He's had his wheels about 6 months now and they don't slow him down one bit... The door jams are scuffed from when he takes corners too fast and we don't go barefoot as he runs over toes in a minute... But he can still chase toys, bring me my socks, demand treats and all the other things that made his life fun. He does need to be lifted into the wheels, lifted onto the couch so he can watch the birds out the window, lifted into the car to go for rides and lifted onto the bed at night to snuggle and cuddle ... so I'm glad he's not a Great Dane...

But comments Pat Winter today made about how casual some people are about disposing of pets when they are inconvenient really hit home... There have been people who have said to me that we should just put him down rather than deal with all the expense and bother of the wheels.. Other than telling them that it a good thing then that he's not their dog, I've not come up with a adequate retort.... Like Pat said, it's best just not to listen to them and hope they don't get another pet.... but is still makes me sad ......

3 comments:

Jo in NZ said...

I think it is fabulous Gerry. Fritz looks so happy!
Perhaps you could say something like "then I would of deprived myself of the best years of his life!"

Ati said...

I love to see how you doggy takes the tramp, he is so smart :) I hope he can live for many more years with you!
Don't listen to those people who says such awfull things about pets!

Anonymous said...

Hey Gerry, precious dog! It"s wonderful that the two of you have each other..Debbie (Maine)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts