8/22/2009

Out of My Comfort Zone #2

Doing the Out of My Comfort Zone (OOMCZ) challenge on a CQ list this early summer was definitely uncomfortable. But it changed my stitching habits and color tolerance so I began thinking of doing it again on my own.. On the left is a block typical of what I love doing...soft colors, small or no prints, and plain fancy fabric. I pick fabrics that will showcase my needlework ---not overwhelm it.

This time the challenge I chose for myself is doing large prints and dark colors as you see below.......something I have NEVER done and just looking at them makes me dizzy... The fabric choices are going to be a big enough challenge without adding other restrictions so I'll antique some lace and start pulling threads and find a photo for a silkie... I'm thinking maybe a photo of my grandmother.. The fabrics are silks and velvets so needed a firm foundation fabric...

What you see is actually two blocks pinned up next to each other. I will work on them separately but simultaneously and put them together to make a cover for my beloved Singer Featherweight.... At this point it is difficult to envision stitches or motifs that will show up on these prints....and not be overwhelmed... I'm thinking I might make a fans of the same materials to use as end pieces for the cover....

5 comments:

qwerty said...

Those colours make my heart sing :)

I wonder if the busyness of the prints will obscure your needlework? Adding lots of lace and trims will look amazing, though!

I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

Anonymous said...

I look forward to following your progress. Being in the black and White RR has also made me move outside my comfort zone in color and stitching on busy fabrics. I love your boldness in choices and am very excited to see how it turns out:)

Robin said...

Hi Gerry! I LOVE your old, soft way where the embellishments are not in competition with the background fabrics. This soft-rose piece is so lovely. Yet at the same time, I admire your spunk and willingness to work out of your comfort zone. The two new squares look great right now... It'll be fun to watch your progress.

In answer to your comment on my blog, I am teaching a bead embroidery class in Bellevue, WA on Nov. 20. The info is here, on my website. Maybe that would work for you???

FredaB said...

I like the 2 squares in the darker prints and the idea of two fans for the ends would really set this off. You are one busy gal and l marvel at all the various things you find the time to do.

I also have trouble finding a good handyman and have yet to find a good plumber in years. Have paid more money for shoddy work then I can believe. There must be some good guys out there but they are hard to find.

Will look forward to seeing this finished. I too have a featherweight and you may have just given me an idea. I did a cover years ago for my Bernina but not CQ.

Hugs

FredaB

dawn draper said...

That pink-and-pretty block is right up my alley. Thank you for sharing it, I'm finding all kinds of inspiration for my own needlework.

Don't count out handyman #3...maybe he's just easing into retirement and looking for smaller jobs to take on instead of huge general contracting work. It doesn't hurt to ask him about raccoon-proofing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts