12/12/2009

Misc. thoughts on 2010 challenge block

I did get a few minutes last evening to start with the cherry tree and cherry branch.. The tree will be the measure for all else that goes into the garden and the branch will be the anchor for the silkie and peacock position. I'm really getting excited about having the landscape as the foundation and then encrusting and letting it poke in and out of the piece. These are the "bones" and need to be done before all else.
At this point I keep a note pad in the envelope with thread, etc. and jot down possibilities and firm up design elements. It is fun how one thing suggests another and soon they all weave together... I always make a long list of what I'd like to include and only a portion actually ends up in the block... I played with a lace cloud tonite and decided if I used a turquoise wash it would work... When I get to buttons I definitely want to do a cherry tree Dorset button and maybe some water lilies painted on MOP buttons (that's an if) The peacock is going to be quite stylized....still many decisions to make there...plenty of time tho as birds aren't until March.
But fans are another story...first up in January and I have some definite ideas on those as I want to try several techniques.... One will be beaded white and incorporated into the cloud. I want to try that stitchable wire mentioned on http://plays-with-needles.blogspot.com/ This challenge block is the best place to try something new and heaven knows I love trying something new. Second will be beaded peacock colors and incorporated into the silkie frame. The third will be stitched peacock feathers patterns. A couple smaller fans with mixed findings and ribbons will be tucked somewhere... Also extending the fan challenge I will be using lots of various fan seam treatments....
I've added another level to my personal challenge on this block.... Edmar thread... I listened to others rave at the retreat and then we went to a dealer's house and I bought 70 skeins at $1 each. I like the richness of it but the intensity of the color is uncomfortable and it tangles something fierce. Then to my dismay with that many skeins I didn't have the colors I needed and had to stop on the way home from the doctor's today and buy 9 more skeins at $1.50 apiece. Now I REALLY have to use it up... Does it count as retail therapy if it's something you're not to crazy about??? And good grief I get "wordy" at 4am....

5 comments:

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

I'm happy you got "wordy", Gerry. It helped my understand your thought processes and I'm a little closer to understanding how to plan out a block now. Thank you!
Hugs,
Kerry

Cathy said...

I love it when you get wordy!! We all listen when you have something to say!! If those Edmar threads don't work out, I'll be happy to buy some off you. I love them for satin stitching and long&short. Like you, I've been doing thinking about my Challenge Block, and this morning made some decisions. First I must piece six wool blocks for the Wool DYB, but then I'm ready to begin my Challenge piece. It make take me the rest of December & January to do it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hugs, Cat

Karen said...

Yes darlin we do read your blog on a regular basis! I enjoy each post and always learn something from you. Thanks for being part of my world!Hugs, Karen

Susan Elliott said...

Just bopping in to tell you that I loved all your posts on this block...I am going to start the challenge with you guys too...I just have to make a block...

But your block...minus any embellishment is just beautiful...The colors and the curves all are singing to me. Can't wait to see the cherry blossom tree since they are one of my favorite motifs...I did a few posts on them last spring when they were the subject of my march bjp. I just LOVE them and that tree will look wonderful on that block.

I enjoy so much about your blog...now that I know you were trained as a graphic designer...it explains a lot. I would like to go back to school to study some of that one day.

Lots of Christmas cookie sprinkles for a happy holiday, Susan

Unknown said...

Wow Gerry, I am amazed at all the ideas you have brewing! You are a great creator. I enjoyed hearing about your ideas.
I especially like the lines you drew on the peacock block showing where the eye will move. Did you design the block like that from the start? I'm guessing you did. And I'm realizing the curved block I'm putting together has been more focused on matching colors and getting those curved pieces fitted in correctly than any overall design or direction. I need to work on that!
Thanks for all your info!
Dakotah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts