12/07/2009

2010 Challenge Block

I finished my block today to use for the 2010 challenge.. I'm trying to get as many blocks done this month as I may be having surgery on my shoulder soon. I did do some planning for this block because I wanted it to be able to to handle all challenges throughout the year. I wanted to do as Leslie suggested and choose a color that stretched my comfort zone and this jeweled aqua is it... Thank heavens Nicki sent me a bunch of it.

Then we needed to have curves so I added a lot of them because layered seams is one of the challenges.. Since landscape was another element I used a simplified landscape approach.. I don't want it to be a "landscape" block as such, but I do want aspects of the landscape to show through. It is an 11" square


This fabric swatch was my inspiration for color combinations and because of it I also chose to use an Asian theme. Fans and cherry blossoms fit beautifully. I am soooooooooo glad we are doing fans as I love doing them... I added the silkie to frame and it should be easy to work in blitz, buttons, spiders vines and goldwork etc. and for the birds I will do peacocks and swans...

This is part of a peacock with a paisley wing I did on someone's RR block and I want to explore it more on this challenge block... It'll be great with no deadline or pressure and just let this block evolve month to month....




4 comments:

Rose Anne B said...

WOW WOW WOW now that is some planning for a block - I just love it as it is never mind what you'll embellish it with. I can't wait to see this one evovle too! It looks lovely. Is it a regular sized block or larger?

NickiLee said...

Just beautiful! I'm so happy that you got use out of some of the blues I sent. The blue/green in the middle is one of my absolutely favorite fabrics... only wish I had another yard of it LOL! I can't wait to see what this block looks like in 12 months!

Dee said...

Have been following your blog. Where do you get the rules for the RR you are in? Love the way you are doing your beading blocks.

dee_dff@yahoo.com

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

I love the paisley peacock idea Gerry! I can`t wait to see what you do with this in its next incarnation!
Hugs,
Kerry

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts