7/10/2010

A Walk in My Woods

It has been two years since I've had a dog to walk with in my woods.. Fritz just wasn't up to it his last year... Because it has been a bad year for ticks I waited until June to start Morris... The first couple weeks I kept him on a leash so he realized this was a TRAIL activity we did as a team and not a "chasing through the woods after rabbits" activity.. Molly will follow about 100 feet into the woods for a few good sniffs but then she goes back to the house. Here they found a particularly good spot and practically buried their noses in the ground.
Morris has found a balance between wanting to be in the lead and stopping to sniff. The vetch is in bloom now and it's so gorgeous. My woods are 20 acres and I made the trail to loop around the outer edge and then another loop in the center..... a mile total...
Morris stays on the trail through all the trees but every so often there's a meadowy part and he loves to run and roll in the tall grass. In years past the elk have wintered in these areas scraping away the snow for the grass.
But where the trees are thickest and the trail bends out of sight, Morris stays real close. Here he is waiting for me to catch up because a wild turkey flew out here the other day and put on a terrible ruckus to distract us from her young...really scared Morris.
And I finally got a good profile shot for his puppy book... He has lost his puppy face.








Afterthought!!! The woods looked like this in 1995 when I planted the 5,267 trees. High school kids came and helped on Arbor Day... Of all the things I've done...... I love my forest the best... In fact my tombstone should read "she loved her dogs and her forest."

7 comments:

Suztats said...

What a wonderful way to start the day! And sharing it with a good friend.

Laurie said...

Oh my gosh Gerry! You grew your own forest! It's so beautiful, and your corgi's are just the sweetest. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, amazing!!

Ati said...

I love your forest too!! It would be nice to walk besides you so that you could tell me everything about everything :)
Lovely that you now have Morris to accompany you.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, I have seen your pictures of how it looked before you got there. In my opinion if I am remembered because I was kind, loved my family, animals and the earth I will be satisfied.

Susan Elliott said...

I absolutely loved everything about this post. You are truly a wonder and a gift to this earth. I cannot believe that those thousands of trees grew SO quickly...that you had the perseverance and presence of mind to envision a forest AND plant it. You have absolutely loved the earth well and it has rewarded you. Amazing. And tales of Morris are always a joy...

FredaB said...

Gerry

It is a wonder what you have done with your property. Are you a Master Gardener? if not you are with or without the official title.

I laughed at your tombstone quote.

We may have to grow old but let us hope we never forget our sense of humour.

Hugs

FredaB

allie aller said...

What vision you had to plant your woods like that...and the transformation of that bare cultivated ground in 15 years is a wonder to behold.
Wow, Gerry!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts