7/15/2010

Comments on my forest!

Thanks for your kind comments and emails about my forest. I should have added that our land had been cultivated for almost 100 years with some pretty poor husbandry.. It had been deluged with tons of chemicals over the years and, although it does not show in that photo, the land slopes to the north and was becoming badly eroded... Saving it was one of my better life choices.... It has a covenant attached to the title and cannot be clear cut for 80 years... It's comforting to know that if I drop dead, someone can't immediately buy it and log it...which is exactly what happened to my grandfather's farm in Idaho....
The forest is 80% Ponderosa pine (native to this dry area) and they grow 12-18" a year once established.. This photo was taken a couple years ago by the Dept. of Conservation and you can see some of fir and tamarack trees as well as the pine. I will be doing a whole post on how it came about as part of my BJP...which is woefully behind...

3 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This was a Feel Good post to read. It actually gave me goose bumps. You are a woman that I would love to meet. There is so much about what you post that touches me. I think we are kindred spirits.

Laurie said...

I so admire all you've done on this property. And to know that generations to come will enjoy that beauty that together, you and God created!

Susan Elliott said...

You are TOO cute!! I love your forest...and I'm so glad Wil found you AND found a car.

I always love your creativity at creating shelters. I have a pic somewhere in my inspiration file of a greenhouse (?) you made all from glass paned windows/doors...

Your cool factor just keeps going up and up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts