7/06/2010

Karrin's Stumpwork Block


I definitely had an attack of the whimsy on Karrin's block... I used the art work from my old logo for the nursery. As I mentioned in a previous post, I designed it and posed for it using a couple mirrors...

I thought it would be a fun motif on a stumpwork block because of the 3D potential.... Instead of felt I did it on muslin on a hoop and used mostly chain stitches...(like my friend Laurie) In the future anything I do on muslin I will color in the muslin before I stitch to make it easier to applique it on the block without bits of white muslin showing. The bloomers are stuffed with batting and the hoe is actually wood.
I repeated the color of Diane's lovely sunflower in the check of the bloomers so it is balanced... I added a tiny bit more of that color under the birdhouse post.. At this point it really needs something to carry the eye around the block and I'm not sure what I'll do about that... First though I will add the greenery to Cobi's hydrangea.. I'd like to get this mailed out at the first of the week to Arlene in Australia...



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delightful! Your work has inspired me to get going on embellishing a quilt I'm working on. Thanks for the push!

Debbie said...

So cute Gerry! I would like to get inside your head to see how that mind of yours never ceases to amaze. Debbie (Maine)

Grovenore said...

I've been following your blog for quite some time and you never cease to amaze me!! I love your unique approach to CQ. It's so delightful.

Grovenore
Lacombe, AB

Laurie said...

Wow Gerry! I can't believe your creativity! I too would love to be inside your head!

Darlene said...

Cute, reminds me of those wood cutouts some people used to put outside their homes.

Susie Wolfe said...

Geri ..... that is just too, too perfect!! The placement, the colors, the whole derned thing. You just keep on 'topping yourself'.(although this one may be hard to beat!) AND what a great keepsake for Karrin to remember you by ..... hehehe!

SusieW

Lesley said...

I love this Gerry. What fun you have with your needlework. I think that sometimes if I'm working on a piece that's got a deadline, I forget to enjoy whay I'm doing. Thanks for the reminder. We do this because we love it, not because we have to.

Suztats said...

A wonderful idea! And it looks great!

Susan Elliott said...

Those bloomers are FABULOUS!!! The whole scene just makes me smile from ear to ear...the logo alone was marvelous and now that you've stitched her into life, it just can't be beat!

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Miss Bloomers is delightful! I can't stop smiling when I look at her and I'm sure it will have the same effect on Karrin!
Hugs,
Kerry

Juli said...

I love the gardener!!

Connie said...

This is so cute!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts