4/26/2009

Whimsical Gold Leaves


Since I am blockless for a few days I went back to work on my 20009 Challenge Block... I wanted to get my gold leaves on it while the April challenge for leaves and trees was going. Since the both the birds and gold beaded branches are whimsical, I wanted a similar effect for leaves. They are 3-D stumpwork style (semi-detached) and I did them with a tiny gold braid. It was really a bit too stiff and difficult to work with but I am happy with the end result. The gold thread I had was too lightweight and the gold cording I had was too heavy.... But they are very "gold" and that is what I was aiming for.....



5 comments:

Cobi said...

Gerry, your block is getting more and more adorable. Your work is terrific as always. The additions always match perfectly. Funny about the heartsease. Last night I was looking at a picture with heartsease and honesty and I had to look up which one was which. I'm working stumpwork today as well. Nice and quiet for a Sunday afternoon. Mine ain't finished yet, but I've posted progress pics on my blog.

Cathy said...

Gerry, with your UNMATCHED artistic and CQ skills, I certainly hope you are entering the AAQ "Crazy for Quilts" competition! This block is a masterpiece!! Who are you planning to leave it to in your will, gggggg??
Love and hugs, Cathy

Thelma said...

Such a stunning block Gerry! Your writing is fantastic. It looks awesome and the goldwork,,,wow!!
I am going to take your lead and get a block done just for next years challenge. Such an awesome idea.

piney cq said...

Those birds are WONDERFUL! Everything about this block is sooo fun! Thank you for sharing the progress!!! Did you couch the lettering down? I likey!

Donna said...

Oh my I just love the birds!!I find all your work so inspiring. I'm wondering how you might feel about me using your birds for inspiration in one of my projects??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts