2/08/2012

Janet's Goldwork 1 block

Except for another row of cord around the bells and birds, Janet's block is done.  On the bells I used candle light thread and 2 kinds of Kreinik.  The biggest problem I've had is with the cording shifting after I have it couched in place..  I think there are two possible reasons... the bias of the patches and the Sulky thread. 

On the next block I will put an interfacing on the back first and try a different thread for couching...  I have found though that if I add a second row of cording I can ease the first row back into place...which will put the bells right again..  Right now it is being blocked and I'll let it stay there a few days before I do any more...

It has been great fun testing the different materials... Doing the bird on the heavy silk backed with fusible interfacing REALLY worked well and I am going to explore that more during this RR.  I did the bells on felt without a chain stitch... A chain stitch under the cording would have worked better... Live and learn....

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Gerry, this block is just amazing! Janet is going to love it! Your work is always exceptional and this block is stunning! I love the total block and it is hard to pick a favorite on this one as all the elements are awesome!

Susan Elliott said...

I find I have less shifting/buckling problems when I put the thread under tension. You might want to try putting the cording on a spool and couching while keeping the thread taut. We use spools called koma in Japanese embroidery to keep our gold threads taught while couching. I have modified this a bit so I don't always use a spool but I do try to keep the thread under a good deal of tension when I couch...not sure if you use a hoop or frame but it also helps to have the block under tension. Also, depending on the cording, sometimes couching stitches closer together also helps. Just my two cents...Have a good day good wife...xo Susan

gocrazywithme said...

I do love it, Gerry! My plan was to stitch the 3 Santas together as a Christmas present, but I'm not sure I'll be able to part with them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts