2/16/2012

A block on a block

Four or five years ago I did this block for Jo in NZ for a fan DYB RR so this is a 6" block which looks like this when I received it... The fan shape was clearly defined and stitched in place so those decisions were already made for me... I started out to work it as a "block on a block" The tone on tone would be an entirely separate concept and the fan would not connect with it other than the cottage image.

Again it is only a 6" block so it is pretty busy.  The tree on the lower right is all tiny bullions.. But I liked the contrast of the tone on tone against the beaded fan.   I had always wanted to try it again with a different twist..  So now I am going to try it again with Kerry's goldwork 2 block which I received late this afternoon...

I scanned this so the image is not too great but she constructed her block with bridal fabrics and wanted something really romantic.  To  me nothing is more romantic than lace so I am embellishing the  block with lace and white seam work.  I will finish the block as if that were the primary goal.... white on white.  Once I get that done then the "top design" of gold work will be worked over all  the white work.

It probably doesn't make a lot of sense now but you can see it as it develops...

I am doing some of the goldwork on gold brocade and will then attach it with gold cording... I did back the brocade with Allie's miracle knit interfacing and I will do the cutaway tranfer tutorial as promised.

8 comments:

Lisa Boni said...

That fan block has been one of my very favorite blocks, so I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

Susan Elliott said...

I like the plan! Gold on white will be gorgeous!

Marilyn said...

Gerry, I love the tone on tone fan block. I think I've seen it on your blog before but another look never goes amiss. I can hardly wait to see the progress on Kerry's block. And what fun for you to find some stitching buddies.

Lorraine said...

This fan is fantastic Gerry!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Gerry, the fan block is stunning!!! I absolutely love the look and how you tied it together with the cottage image. I can't quit looking at it. The gold over the white/ivory is going to be beautiful too. BTW, I hope you received my reply to the request to write about my tags. In case you didn't, you do have my permission and I am very flattered :-)

kerrykatiecakes2 said...

Oh Gerry! I am so excited to see what you do with my block!

Bluebell said...

I think that is the most beautiful block I have ever seen, such beautiful work.
Jill

Diane said...

I don't remember ever seeing that gorgeous fan before. The beading is just lovely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts