3/11/2011

Quick progress report....

In order to keep the overall piece balanced I am working on 3 (squares 4,5 &9)of the 9 squares at once... I have the braids, trims etc. on all three as far as I can go at this stage.. I have the seams on the center piece done as far as I can until I put the images on... Plan to work madly on these for the next 2 days and hopefully have the images ready to put on all three by Monday or Tuesday.. Then the fun part... I am relishing the embellishing....


If you look closely there are a couple of recurring elements...one is the circle of tablecloth lace and the other are the pieces of the rust colored bows that Susie W. sent me. Actually there is a third...a black Venetian lace rose but it doesn't show up and in fact none of the heavy black laces on the black show up. Anyone have any super tips on photographing black on black...? I have some fabulous black textures which do not show up either...

Sometimes I hesitate to mention something as I think everyone must know or do it, but just in case there is one soul that it would help... It is at this stage that I stretch my block very tautly with pins on a bulletin board. It makes them lie flat and squares them up... If I can I will leave them stretched over a couple days, but overnight at least.. I will do this several times before I am finally done...

But I am also taking time to do a tutorial on making colored photos into antique sepia photos.... the easy way.... Had hoped to work on it today but the sun is out so the greenhouse is warm and I am working there to repair Andy's damage... mutter, mutter, mutter.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very good so far.The black is very dramatic.I haven't used black on CQ yet, but will think about it.
Looking forward to seeing the next stage in your creating.

Susan Elliott said...

Looking good Ger!

Here's some black photography tips...

Photograph in bright indirect light outside -- definitely no flash

try filling the entire frame with the black/dark area....

Depending on what's happening -- if the black looks gray...the your camera is overexposing and you may want to set your aperture to a higher number

If your black is coming back too black and no detail...then your camera is underexposing and you may need to set your aperture to a lower number.

Photographing lights and darks together is very tricky and best accomplished in natural light. Hope that helps....

Momma Bear said...

the panels look great Gerry!
I love what you did with the little one and I look forward to your progress.

as a former art studio brat the Photographers would do all sorts of interesting things to bring out black on black.
one is to use cross lighting -shine brights from two separate angles usually across from one another.

the other is to use bounces-this can be as easy as two foamcore boards placed so when you shine a light on them they bounce light back onto what you want to light up, we had several different sizes and shapes but the most popular was a 3'x3' piece.

the third option is Susan's,(drat she got to it first!) indirect northern exposure.

I have lots of northern exposure but you wouldn't want to go out in it till after may as it's a tad wet over this way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts