3/15/2011

A culinary happening...

On rare occasions I post a recipe but this one is so loose it stretches the term recipe which implies specific quantities etc... But this was soooooooooooo good you must try it...
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

I "chunked":
2 medium/large butternut squash
2-3 large potatoes (unpeeled)
6-8 large carrots
several sweet peppers (I used yellow, orange and red ones)

I drizzled it all with olive oil and sprinkled it with "McCormick's Toasted Onion and Garlic Potato Seasoning Mix" and roasted at 350 degrees until tender.

Meanwhile in my big soup kettle I sauteed 1 large onion and a bunch of celery chopped... After all cooled a bit I put everything into the food processor in batches and pureed...and all back in the kettle... Then I added about 2 T. sea salt, 2 cups of whipping cream and about 4-6 cups of milk to desired soupiness. Do not leave out the seasoning mix as that is the killer ingredient!!!! And of course you could substitute organic veggie broth for the whipped cream and milk....but not at my house..


I topped it with crumbled blue cheese and FRESH chives. It was simply one of the best soups ever...



It is officially spring for me when I can pull aside last fall's dried leaves and grass under my old apple tree and find chives sprouting... I put them on everything while they are so tender...

(I just knew spell check would tell me that "soupiness" was not a word and it did.... but I bet every single reader knew exactly what I meant so it should be a word.....)

6 comments:

Laurie said...

I love butternut squash, and this sounds and looks so good! Vegetable broth? I think not!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

At least until I get teeth again, I am living on soup. This one sounds delish (not a word either, but you get the jist). I think the roasted veggies would be a meal in themselves!

Marilyn said...

Did you say spring is here? Oh how I wish. We still have 2 1/2 feet of snow in our yard :(. Your soup sounds totally yummy.

Quayceetatter said...

Holy moly, that is a lot of soup for 2 people!! It sounds delicious but will cut it down for us 2 old fogies!!!
Linda M in nm

Susan Elliott said...

One day I'm going to have Gerry Krueger day at my house and make this soup, and your MIL's sour cream rolls and wear my tiara....

It will probably be in the Fall when I can get all those yummy ingredients...

Gina said...

I first made butternut squash soup last year and loved it! I throw a little McCormicks's Caribbean Jerk seasoning in it which gives it a bit of after-kick. Not for everyone, but I like it. I use cream cheese in it too and then freeze the extra. It heats up beautifully, even with the cream cheese. I might try your recipe which sounds scrumptious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts