3/30/2011

Options for Combining Two Blocks

I had stitched these two blocks for a cover for my Singer featherweight... One was the front and one was the back so obviously they were never meant to be viewed side by side... but things change and I decided to take them to CT as my "show & tell." as one piece... I did have options.. First I could insert a wide band the width of the border and visually treat them as two pieces...

Second I could use the narrow gimp that I'm using on the inner border. With this option they will read more as one piece.













My third option is to butt them together with no division at all. But even though they are the same theme, fabric etc. there is a definite line and shouts that's they are two separate pieces


Since I mentioned on Viv's piece how little it takes to fool the eye, with the magic of Photoshop I will show how I could make that visual division disappear..


By fiddling with the lace at the top of the seam line first... I know I have more or could easily replace what's there. Then I could extend branches and leaves from one block to the other... Finally I could find another medium sized heart to put on the seam at the bottom... Just three things..and the line would disappear. Ruby asked: "Am I correct in understanding that it is important to select which block has the most elements to travel over? To ONLY bring elements from one direction. Or with some blocks the extensions could come from both sides?" It really doesn't matter where you bring the elements from ...(you can even add new elements) ...the important thing is interrupting the line...The straight seam "before" on the left and after 3 simple additions on the right... The two blocks would now "read" as one.


All three of these options are perfectly viable with none being really better than another...it's a matter of personal choice.
You're certainly welcome to comment here with opinions on these options... Since I already made my choice and finished this morning it is a moot questionfor me but you can guess which I chose...


While stitching early this morning I saw a tiny mouse scurry out from under the china cabinet and scurry right back... I put a piece of cheese on an old-fashioned mouse trap and slipped it under there... Morris KNOWS there is food under there just out of his reach and it is driving him crazy...

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. They almost call to go together once you showed how it could be done. I'd still want to fiddle with that bottom bit of lace. Am I correct in understanding that it is important to select which block has the most elements to travel over? To ONLY bring elements from one direction. Or with some blocks the extensions could come from both sides?

Evy said...

I like very much the last version which does not form more than one with the assembly photo. That of details, the embroidered birds, connect; everything is magnificent!
Even if I have two cats, I like enormously mice, oops …

Beautiful day

Mosaic Magpie said...

As far as the blocks go I like the second option. They are seperate, but still relate to each other. The "blended" blocks, to me, are amazing. Those minor changes and additions make the line between the 2 disappear. Thanks, I keep learning with each visit.
Deb

Cathy said...

I prefer the last option - blended blocks that look line one. I really don't like any CQ blocks in a quilt or wallhanging that have borders between blocks. And I don't really like seeing a line where blocks were stitched together either so that last solution suits my fancy and what I tried to do on the measly projects I have actually finished.

That's just my choice and I'm half blind anyway.

Thanks for pointing out the various ways blocks can be put together and your instruction on this matter. No matter how you connect the dots your blocks are superb and a treat for even half blind eyes.

- Cathy L

RoseLady said...

I definitely prefer the 2blocks blended to look like one.

Thank You for showing us the options.

Joan

Anonymous said...

Most of the quilts I have seen have had definite lines in them. I thought that was how it was. I really like the blending so much better. It is just so much prettier- at least to me. Thank you for the instructional blogs. I really enjoy them. Jane

Diane said...

I prefer the last choice where you have fiddled with the lace to make it one block. Thanks for the lesson.
Diane in Ontario

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts