3/25/2011

Pearl has ended up with Ruby's lamb...

In all the years I've had sheep this is the weirdest lambing... maybe because I am preparing to leave... When I first got sheep I took a lambing clinic at a huge sheep operation south of town so I'd be prepared. And they never have needed me as they just popped babies out, cleaned them up, and proceeded like super moms..but this year started with the lamb napping.


Then Wednesday morning Pitiful Pearl had a still born lamb... my first ever. Pearl bawled non-stop all day long and I was so sad for her....


Although Topaz is my prettiest ewe, Pearl has always been special.. Being a tiny bottle baby herself, she had a hard beginning and bawled the whole summer we got her... When she's out of the pasture she follows my husband around like a puppy when he's pruning...He just says "Come Pearl" and she trots right along behind him

Then yesterday Ruby finally had a lamb and I was there... Since she has Topaz's twin I snatched up her new baby before she had a chance to clean it and penned it up with Pearl (who was still bawling). I toweled the lamb down with Pearl helping and sat on a stool with them in the pen for a couple hours until the lamb was nursing well. Now everyone has a baby and all the drama is over...

14 comments:

Susan Elliott said...

Wow! What a happy ending!! And no bottle feeders to worry about.

I would love to have sat there for three hours surrounded by the mysteries of life as you watched a newborn lamb bonding with Pearl. Now everyone is happy and all the moms can have play dates without any issues. Ruby was the smart one here I think...she started the whole thing by stealing the twin...Maybe she has a sixth prescient sense...maybe, just maybe, she was the hero of the whole affair...

Plus you, of course...the grand mama...

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a wonderful story. My heart broke for Pearl. It is fascinating that Pearl was able to bond with the lamb. I guess that is like an adopted child. I am very glad there was a happy ending.
Deb

Anonymous said...

I love happy endings. Darling pictures. Thanks so much. Suzie in Idaho

Suzanne said...

I'm so glad Pearl's loving mother heart had a newborn to nurture and that they are all happy. What a wonderful story.

Susie Wolfe said...

You are indeed a wise midwife ..... what a perfect solution. The story began my day with a big smile and a warm heart. Your love for your sheep shines bright ...... look what a real difference you have made in their lives. PLUS now you can go on your stitching adventure with no baby worries......
SusieW

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

Oh my goodness I loved reading about this. How sweet and touching. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,Pat

RoseLady said...

I am so glad that this story turned out to have a happy ending. Our "furry friends" are so amazing. Kudos to you for fast thinking !

Joan

Momma Bear said...

phwew! things have a way of working out for the best. goodness, but life is never boring with critters!)

Gina said...

All's well that ends well. I sorta miss the early married days when we had chickens and ponies and goats and horses and a GARDEN.
Wonderful story!

Cobi said...

oh Gerry, I'm so happy that everything turned out well in the end. I was stunned by the stealing of one of the twins to begin with. I hope everything will go well from now. have a lovely, fun and inspiring trip.

Leone said...

What a sweet caring compassionate story. Our furry friends sometimes need us to care for them.

allie aller said...

What a sublime photo here...Gorgeous, Gerry!!!!

This all reminds me of my dairy days (1979-1988) when I lived with the cows 24/7....You have managed this situation with the twins and the moms so well....
We used to say we got our doctorates in Bovine Psychology; Robert and I just "knew" what our cows were thinking...surely you have yours in Ovine Psyche as well!

Teresa said...

Oh but that is such a happy ending to the story! I've been checking your blog daily for news of the kidnapped lamb and the rest! I was worried about that little unborn lamb. This is a happy ending for all concerned!

Marty52 said...

Brilliant! And such a beautiful lamb. Congrats on a successful ending!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts