1/15/2009

Calla lily prep

When I first started beading flowers, birds, etc. I used graph paper but I ended up with everything in rows and it looked like beaded cross stitch. I wanted a more painterly use of beading images and came up with this technique which uses the computer to help "see" the end product and "bead soups" to soften the transitions.
I have a calla lily charm that I loved and enlarged the design to a scrap of paper. Then I will transfer it to a piece of felt or interfacing and baste it on the block.
Usually I work from one image but this will be sort of a composite project and so I started by looking at lots of calla lilies and leaves online.
For reference this time I change an image to black and white and reduce the size to about the size of a postage stamp. If you don't reduce the size first and then try to enlarge the percentage you are working with something the size of a wall.
Then I look at the postage-size image at about 500% and then it is easy to see the light and dark pixels and all the shades in between.... I am waiting til the first of the week because I think a few more beads are coming and then the fun begins.......I can see right away that photographing shades of cream is going to be a problem so I am going to repeat this process with a colored bird on Ati's block and it will be easier to follow. Then I will submit it to CQMag...

1 comment:

Simone said...

Love your calla lily idea, but most of all, really love all your great projects and interesting blogs! Soooo many beautiful CQs!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts